Chapter Three

John hadn't moved from Lily's side since he arrived at the hospital. Lily was still unconscious and John now knew about the loss of his daughter.

It had been almost a week and Polly and Ada were taking it in turns, looking after the boys. Connor was finding it difficult to cope, seeing as he was the only one old enough to truly understand what was going on.

Polly had agreed to let him visit his mum in hospital. She thought it might help if he saw her for himself, she also thought it would be a good idea if Connor spent some time with his dad.

"Connor" John was surprised to see his oldest son enter the room "What are you doing here? Is everything alright?"

"Yes" Connor answered "I'm sorry, I just...Aunt Pollys doing her best..."

"But she's not your mum?" John guessed immediately. He reached around and grabbed the back of his sons neck "I know what you mean, I seem to be falling apart without her aswell"

"She will be alright won't she Dad?" Connor asked and John simply looked at him.

"Your mum will be fine, she's alot stronger than you think" John tried to reassure Connor.

"I'm scared Dad, I know men shouldn't be scared but..." Connor was fighting his tears.

"Now you listen to me, everyone gets scared sometimes..." John tried to comfort his boy.

"You don't" Connor spoke quickly causing John to hesitate a little.

"Well that's where you are wrong, because right now...I'm probably as scared as you are" John looked at Lily and back at Connor.

×××××××

"Connor isn't coping Tommy, and with John at the hospital every day...its getting harder and harder for us to keep him under control" Polly spoke honestly to Tommy, who seemed concerned.

"He's a lad Pol, it's his age. If I remember rightly, John wasn't exactly easy at that she" Tommy laughed a little, but soon stopped when he realised Polly was serious.

"Tommy it's not funny" Polly frowned.

"Alright fine, when he comes back from the hospital. If he is still troubled, I'll have a talk with him" Tommy agreed reluctantly. He felt extremely uncomfortable with this idea.

××××××

John hadn't moved an inch from Lily's side, the doctor had been and gone several times "The doctor said you should be waking up soon" John brushed his lips against Lily's knuckles as he held her hand to his mouth "I really need you to wake up Lil, the boys are running rings around me"

"I told you, you need to be more fine with them" John looked up and saw Lily's warm smile.

"Jesus Lilly, don't you ever do that to me again" John gasped before standing and kissing Lily's head.

"The boys?" Lily seemed worried.

"They're fine, Ada and Polly are taking turns" John replied.

"Thank god, I was sure the authorities would come and take them" Lily sighed.

"Like I would let that happen" John stroked Lily's hair "I should fetch a doctor"

"No John, just sit with me a while" Lily put her hand inside John's and inhaled deeply "I know the baby's gone John, I saw the blood"

"I'm sorry I wasn't there" John had tears in his eyes.

"You didn't have much choice" Lily sighed "I'm just so glad you're here, back home where you belong" Lily smiled weakly.

"I love you so much Lil and the thought of losing you" John inhaled as he saw Lily's eyes fill with tears.

"I love you too John" Lily smiled "You and the boys mean the world to me"

××××××

Tommy was surprised to hear telling coming from outside the Garrison. It wasn't until he approached that he realised it was Connor. He and another lad were in the middle.of a rather heated disagreement. Connor had reacted by punching the lad in the face, both of them now were caught up in a scuffle.

"Connor" Tommy called out as he saw the fight "Hey, Hey" The other boy had stopped when he heard Tommy's voice. But Connor had lost control, he kept going, until the lad was lifeless on the floor. Tommy pulled Connor backwards off the lad and down to the ground "That's enough Connor, you're going to kill him"

Connor eventually stopped, He relaxed as Tommy let him go "I'm sorry Uncle Tommy" Connor apologised quickly.

"Why did you fight him Connor?" Tommy realised something was going on here.

"He disrespected my mother" Connor replied simply as Tommy helped him stand "Called her a whore, and me a bastard" Connor's words shocked Tommy a little "Mum said violence is never the answer. But I couldn't let him get away with that could I?"

"No Connor" Tommy agreed, He to felt an overwhelming anger towards the other boy. How dare anyone disrespect Lily.

"I hate that she's not here Uncle Tommy" Connor sighed deeply "I just want her to wake up"

"Well that's what I came to tell you, Your Dad rang Polly from the hospital. Your mum's awake" Tommy grinned as did Connor.

×××××××

Lily was alone when Tommy arrived at the hospital with Connor. John had gone to fetch the other boys from Polly and Ada "Mum" Connor hugged his Mum tightly when they arrived.

"Gently lad" Tommy smiled as he watched the pair embrace "Your mum is still delicate"

"And thirsty" Lily smiled "Will you go and ask the nurse for some water Connor?" Connor stood up instantly and did what his Mum asked. As soon he was out of the room, Lily began questioning Tommy.

"Tom why has he got bruises on his face?" she asked and Tommy moved closer and sat on the chair beside Lily's bed.

"He got in a scuffle with a bit who disrespected you" Tommy explained and Lily frowned "The boy called you a whore..."

"How many times have I told him violence..." Lily began before being interrupted.

"Lil, he called Connor a bastard" Tommy looked straight into Lily's eyes.

"What?" Lily was horrified "Why? Connor has a father"

"Yes but not his real father" Tommy kept his focus on Lily "People around here know John isn't Connor's father"

"John treats Connor as his own, does that not count for anything. People have no right saying such things" Lily was distressed by this point.

"I'm sorry Lily but I told you this would happen, the minute you told people you didn't know who Connors father was..." Tommy inhaled deeply.

"And what was the alternative Tommy? Telling them the truth" Lily spat angrily "That you are his father?"...