Chapter Four

"Connor deserved a father that wanted him" Lily argued "When I told you I was pregnant, do you remember what you told me Tommy? You gave me money and told me to fix It"

"I was stupid" Tommy frowned.

"We were both stupid" Lily inhaled "But I did what I had to do, John loved me and was willing to be a father"

Tommy almost said the words but managed to contain himself. He wanted to say that he loved her, that deep down he still does, But Tommy wasn't stupid he knew over the years Lily had fallen completely in love with John and that nothing he said could change that. So he chose to stay silent "We agreed no-one should know, they don't need to know"

"You're right they don't, neither do John or Connor" Tommy nodded this head in agreement.

"Mrs Shelby?" A nurse entered the room "There is a man wishing to see you"

"Who is He?" Tommy asked "Is he wearing a peaked cap?"

"No Mr Shelby, He said his name is Lindon, Royce Lindon?" The horror on Tommy's face showed as the nurse spoke.

"Shit Tommy" Lily gasped she too had been left horrified "What are we going to do?"

"It'll be alright" Tommy soothed as he pulled his gun from his body harness and readied it "No-one is going to hurt you while I'm here"

××××××

John jumped up from his chair as he heard the door go "What the fuck do you think you're doing Tommy?" John cried as he saw Tommy carrying Lily in his arms "She needs to be in hospital"

Tommy didn't reply straight away he just carried Lily up to bed. An urgent knock on the door made John jump "Open it John, it'll be the doctor" Tommy called back as he entered John and Lily's bedroom.

John followed the doctor up the stairs and went to confront his brother "Why the fuck did you bring her here?"

"Because John, Royce Lindon came to the fucking hospital today" Tommy's reply both shocked and infuriated John "Lily isn't safe there"

"John" Lily's voice was gentle and quiet "Please" she managed as John rushed to her side.

"Its alright love, It'll be alright" John sat on the bed beside his wife and held her in his arms.

××××××

Polly was surprised to see Lily in bed when she arrived back at the house with the boys "What is she doing at home? She had a massive bleed, she should at least be in hospital for another week"

"Royce Lindon came to the hospital" Tommy spoke up "It wasn't safe there so I brought her home. John agreed it was a good idea"

"Lindon?" Polly seemed shaken "You mean he's out of prison?" Polly pushed.

"It looks that way Pol, she isn't safe in hospital. Don't worry I've got a doctor coming to check on her three times a day" Tommy frowned as he watched John pull the sheets around Lily.

"John" Lily's voice was a little weaker than before. Loving her must have exhausted "Lizzy, you need to tell Lizzy he's back"

"Shhh rest now Lil..." John soothed gently.

"I mean it John, Lizzy needs to be warned" This time Tommy heard Lily's request. He walked closer to the bed.

"Don't worry yourself Lil, I'll go and let Lizzy know he's back. I'll tell her personally" Tommy smiled weakly as he watched Lily nod before drifting to sleep.

××××××

Lizzy slipped on her silk dressing gown over her nighty "Who is It?" She called. The reply shocked her a little.

"Tommy Shelby" Tommy called back. Lizzy opened the door and smirked.

"Can't get enough of me then?" She grinned, her smiled faded when she realised Tommy was concerned "Tommy?"

He barged his way through Lizzy's flat "Royce Lindon is back in Small Heath"

"What?" Lizzy gasped "When? How do you know?"

"A few days maybe, he paid Lily a visit in hospital" Tommy explained much to Lizzy's horror.

"Wait Lily's in hospital? Why didn't anyone...mind you I'm not surprised, ever since Lily married John I might as well have not exsisted" Lizzy spat furiously.

"We didn't want to worry you?" Tommy sighed.

"She's my fucking sister Tommy!" Lizzy yelled "I have every right to..."

"Enough Lizzy" Tommy grabbed Lizzy's arms and looked into her eyes "You need to pack a bag, you need to leave Small Heath tonight"

"What about Lil?" Lizzy wondered.

"We can take care of Lily" Tommy replied and Lizzy sniggered.

"Of course, you're not about to let her go anywhere are you Thomas" Lizzy moved closer "She's your forbidden pleasure...the one you can't have"

Tommy didn't reply he just pushed Lizzy away and turned towards the door "What you don't want to fuck me this time?"

"Pack a bag Lizzy" Tommy spoke harshly before opening the door. Lizzy didn't speak she just slumped down on the bed and took some deep breaths. The news of Royce Lindon's return had left her shaken.

×××××××

Tommy was surprised to return home and find Connor waiting for him "Connor?" his fave was bloody and bruised "Have you been scrapping again?"

"I'm sorry uncle Tom" Connor bowed his head "I didn't want to go home, I don't want my mum to see me like this. She'll worry"

"Its alright lad, I'll get some water" Tommy poured some water into a bowl and grabbed a towel off the side, before pouring two glasses of whiskey "Here drink this" he handed Connor a glass.

Connor drank a small sip of the whiskey and waited for Tommy to start cleaning his face "Who is Royce Lindon?"

Tommy paused when he heard Connors question "Not someone you'd want to cross...why? how do you know about Royce Lindon?"

"Some kids at school said Mum was in for it now he's back" Connor explained.

"Is that why you hit them?" Tommy tried to figure out what had happened.

"No, They said he was a rapist and a murderer and that my mother was his whore and he was my father. That's why he's back. They said he was going to kill my mother and Aunt Lizzy too" Connor continued.

"Now you listen to me Connor" Tommy put his hand on the back of Connors neck "I promise you that bastard is not you father alright? And as for killing your mum...do you think me or your dad...or Uncle Arthur would let that happen?"

Connor didn't reply, he just nodded his head "Uncle Tommy can I ask you something?"

"Yes" Tommy nodded.

"In the hospital I heard you and Mum talking...is it true what she said? Are you my father?" Connors question shook Tommy, he had no idea Connor had been listening to their conversation.