Chapter Seven

Lily's eyes opened slowly, she was surprised to find Polly sitting on a chair beside her bed "Polly" she whispered and Polly's head lifted upwards.

"Nice of you to finally join me" Polly smirked, her grin faded when she saw how flustered Lily was "Its alright sweetheart, Tommy explained everything"

"Where's John?" Lily wondered and Polly quickly moved off the chair and onto Lily's bed.

"He's at home, feels dreadful for what he did...he wants to talk" Polly took Lily's hand inside hers.

"I don't know if I can..." Lily's eyes filled with tears.

"Then I'll tell him to stay away" Polly soothed gently.

××××××××

John sat with his head in his hands as Ada explained what had happened "The doctor said Lily's blood pressure is to low, that's what caused her to collapse"

"But she'll be alright?" John was concerned for his wife's health.

"Yes, she just needs to get plenty of rest" Polly sighed "And no more drama"

Lily rolled her eyes a little at Polly's request. Before either of the women could talk again there was a knock at the front door "Stay there" Polly said as she stood up.

"Really Pol? Really?" Lily exclaimed as she slumped back against the pillow. She listened curiously as voices began to raise downstairs.

"Now isn't the time" Polly began to yell a little louder "No I think you've done enough, and you can tell John the same...Lizzy I don't care how bad he feels, what he did was unforgivable"

The door slammed shut and Lily waited for Polly to reappear.

×××××××

Ada sat down beside Connor and his brothers and ate from the bag of popcorn "See this is nice isn't it" she smiled weakly before glancing around the pictures. All the other seats were empty accept for one. Sitting ain the back row was a man with dark hair, he was wearing a black coat.

"Auntie Ada, who's that?" ...wondered.

Ada frowned and sighed "In not sure sweetheart, he must be here to see the film aswell" Truth was Ada knew exactly who this man was. He had been hired by Tommy to keep the boys safe. Especially now Royce Lenton was back in Birmingham.

×××××××

Lily's eyes opened slowly for the second time, she must have fallen back to sleep. A figure sat on the chair beside her. A Little panic set in at first, but the soon subsided when she realised it was Tommy "Tom?" She frowned as she watched him lean forwards.

"Its alright I'm just here to keep watch over you, at least until we know Royce's next move" he sighed and then looked down at the ground. A this came from outside the door and much to Lilys horror, John entered the room.

"John now's not the time..." Tommy tried but John stood firm.

"You don't get to tell me when I can speak to her, she's still my wife...aren't you?" John's voice lowered and his expression softened.

"Yes" Lily nodded gently "Tommy it's fine, I want to speak to him"

Tommy nodded reluctantly and turned quickly to John "You've got 10 minutes"

John didn't respond he just sat down beside Lily and removed his hat "Lily I'm so..."

"Don't" Lily frowned "I don't want to hear how sorry you are John...I want to know why? Why you decided to use my sister to hurt me in the worst possible way" Lily sniffed.

"And what about finding out my brother is the father of my wife's child? A child I have raised as my own since he was born" John scoffed.

"Yes I know I should have told you John, but Tommy and I...I wasn't unfaithful. It was before you and I even...I understand you were angry but to sleep with Lizzy..."

"I was angry, I should never have...please don't..." John began to plead with his wife.

"Don't what? Ask you for a divorce?" Lily spat, before changing her expression to a gentler one "John I don't know what it is I want right now. I love you so much and have stood by you through everything, but this...this is a step too far John. I need some time to figure things out, so I'm taking the boys to London for a while"

"You're going to your Aunt Sal's?" John wasn't sure what to say next. The last thing he wanted was for Lily to take the boys away from Birmingham, especially with Royce Lenton back on the scene. But at the same time he knew he had no right to ask her to stay "Lily its too risky, traveling alone..."

"I'm not going alone John, Tommy has agreed to drive me" Lily rpelied almost coldly. John knew better than to argue s he simply lowered his head and nodded.

"Fine" He sighed causing Lily to sit more upright.

"Please John this could be the only way to save our marriage" Lily inhaled and John seemed a little more relieved once he realised saving his marriage was an option now.

"Alright fine, if this is the only way there can be a chance for us then I'll do whatever it takes" Johm reluctantly admitted defeat "I'm sorry Lil" He inhaled deeply before leaving the room.

Lily waited until he was gone before breaking down, she sobbed uncontrollably. Tommy rushed quickly to her side and held her tightly "shh, it'll be alright Lil...everything is going to be fine" Tommy soothed as he stroked her hair.

×××××

The house was a little bigger than Tommy had imagined, there was a long driveway and Lily's Aunt even had maids working for her. As he pulled the car to a halt he stopped and glanced in the back at the boys "Are you sure you're going to be alright?" Tommy wondered and Lily sighed deeply.

"This isn't the first time I've been on my own with them" Lily frowned "While you were in France I had to be mother and father to them..."

"Lily I don't mean with the boys, I mean...did you want me to stay for a few days?" Tommy inhaled.

"I'll be fine Tom, I don't need you to babysit me" The corners of Lily's mouth turned upwards "You can stay for dinner though, if you like?"

"Yeah I Will, then I'll get back on the road tonight" Tommy looked at Lily as she woke up the boys. He couldn't hide his smile. The longer he looked at her the more he was reminded of the young girl he was once in love with...the girl who he let walk away.