Chapter Six

"JOHN STOP" Lily screamed as she tried to put herself between Tommy and her husband. It was too late John already had his brother up against the wall "Please John" Lily pleaded as she watch Tommy fighting for breath.

"Get off me" John threw Lily off him, without realising his own strength. Lily found herself on the ground, her head hit the tiled floor "Lily, oh fuck" John let Tommy go immediately and leant down to help Lily up.

"I'm fine" Lily stood up, but she wobbled a little. John couldn't even look at his wife "John" Lily frowned but John shook his head.

"I'm sorry I need to..." He turned and left quickly.

"JOHN PLEASE" Lily called out as her tears overwhelmed her, she tried to go after him but her body failed her and she almost collapsed in a heap on the floor.

"Lily" Tommy gasped as he rushed forwards to catch het "Your head, you're bleeding" Blood trickled down Lily's face and onto the rug below her feet. She was shaking, the thought of John knowing the truth caused her heart to race "Here" Tommy held a cloth over the cut on Lily's head.

"He wasn't meant to find out like this Tom" Lily inhaled deeply "I need to..." She tried to stand again.

"Lily sit down" Tom's tone was a little harsh, and full of concern "Give him some space. He needs to figure this all out in his head"

××××××××××

The Shelby Company Ltd office was empty when John arrived. He headed straight for Tommy's office and poured himself a whiskey, before helping himself to one of Tommy's cigarettes. As John's eyes search the room they fell upon a small framed photograph of Tommy on a horse.

John picked up the frame in his hand and snarled "You're a fucking liar Tom" John hissed, before throwing the photograph at the wall, his glass followed it. John then started to turn over the chairs and threw items from the desk onto the ground.

"JOHN" A familiar female voice yelled, before John felt two hands grabbing him "John stop this" John turned and relaxed into Lizzy's arms.

"He takes everything Lizzy, he couldn't just let me have her..." John's mumbling made no sense "She was the one thing that was mine...just mine"

"John I" Lizzy started.

"Connors his son" John announced "Tommy's his father"

Lizzy's silence caused John to look up "You knew didn't you?" he stuttered "Did everyone know but me...?"

"No John it wasn't like that" Lizzy tried to explain.

"Did everyone know? I never had her down for being a whore..." John was stopped mid sentence by a slap around his face.

"Take that back" Lizzy snarled "My sister may be a lot of things but she is no whore"

"I know, I just..." John slumped on the chair "I love her so much"

"And she loves you John...and only you" Lizzy touched John's arm gently and inhaled deeply "Tommy's her past..."

×××××××××

Lily drank the whiskey Tommy had given her, she was still shaking "I should go and find him...talk to him"

"You can't Lil, the bang on your head...you could have concussion" Tommy replied "Besides John needs time to get his head around things. I'm sure he'll be back when he's ready"

"I can't just...I need to explain, Tom" Lily inhaled trying to steady her breathing.

"Nothing you say will make this any easier for him to hear. I'm his brother and it was me who got you pregnant. It's my child he's been raising all this time" Tommy sighed.

"How can you be so matter of fact about it all? Did you not see his face, they betrayal...ive been so stupid. Why did I think this was the right thing to do...? To lie to him for all these years..." Lily sniffed as she wiped her eyes.

"We agreed it was for the best. You said yourself Connor deserved a decent father, and John had already made it clear he would stand by you and the baby even though he knew it wasn't his. Telling him would have been stupid..." Tommy's word made sense to Lily, but she still felt terrible for hurting John like this.

×××××××

Lizzy and John had just about worked their way through a full bottle of whiskey "I don't know Lizzy, perhaps my dad was right...she was trouble"

"You don't mean that" Lizzy sat forwards "Look whatever happened between her and Tom..."

"Don't say their names together like that...everytime I hear it I think of them together and it makes me feel sick" John's face screwed up a little.

"John" Lizzy touched John's arm tenderly, he looked down and sighed.

"Maybe I should have married you instead" he inhaled "You've never been any trouble..."

"You shouldn't say things like that John, I know you..." Lizzy tried to get through to him.

"You know something, you were right. You and Lily have alot in common. I mean you've both let Tommy fuck you..." John's tone was aggressive and his remark angered Lizzy so much, that she slapped him around the face.

John retaliated by slapping her back. The pair froze for a moment before plunging into a passionate embrace. They kissed uncontrollably as John lifted Lizzy onto the desk.

××××××

Lily stood and wrapped her coat around her torso "Lil please" Tommy tried to plead with her "Its too soon, you're weak"

"I need to find him, need to explain my side if things" Lily walked towards the door and Tommy quickly followed "No, I need to do this alone. I think I know where he is"

Tommy gently touched Lily's face "Don't Tom" Lily stepped backwards and continued out into the road.

××××××××

"Feel better now?" Lizzy spat, she felt a sense of disgust for her mistake.

"Not really" John sniffed as he lit a cigarette "Get dressed Lizzy"

John fastened his trousers and lifted his braces as Lizzy stood down off the desk and pulled her dress straps up "Fuck" She gasped as she saw a familiar figure standing in the doorway. John turned and suddenly his heart dropped.

"What the fuck have you done?" Lily's colour had drained from her face "Why the fuck would you do this to me John?"

"Lily wait" John quickly tried to go after his wife "Lily...I"

"What? You what" Lily was a mixture of devastated and furious "Its alright I get it John...an eye for an eye"

"Lil no it's" John reached out and grabbed Lily's arm.

"Don't touch me, I can't bare you touching with the same hands you've had all over my sister" Lily spat before turning quickly on her heels and heading home.

×××××××

The door slamming shut echoed around the house, Tommy rushed into the hallway and was surprised to see tears rolling down Lily's eyes "Lil?" Lily didn't reply she just allowed Tommy to hold her "What happened?"

"I...he...I Don't..." Lily couldn't speak, her heart was racing and her body began to falter. Lily's eyes closed and her body became limp in Tommy's arms.

"Lily" Tommy tried to wake her "Lily wake up, Lil" he shook her gently.

"Tommy what's happened?" Ada appeared in the hall way.

"I don't know, but fetch the doctor" Tommy ordered before pulling Lily into his chest...