Chapter Eleven

All the whiskey in the world didn't seem to clear Tommy's head, nor did it help him forget. His mind was still full of Lily and what they had done, All through his meeting Tommy had found himself distracted. He did somehow manage to stay professional enough though, to seal his business deal.

"Thank you Mr Shelby, We'll be in touch in due course" Harry Wiseman shook Tommy's hand and gestured for his younger son Benjamin to follow him.

"No, thank you Mr Wiseman I'll look forward to hearing from you" Tommy frowned as he thought about Lily yet again. He wondered what Polly might have said to her.

"Mr Shelby there is a call from..." A female came into Tommy's office.

"Tell whoever it is I am done for the day" Tommy snapped, before quickly grabbing his coat and hat off the stand "Take a message and I'll call them tomorrow morning"

"Very well Mr Shelby" The woman smiled and disappeared. Tommy to left his office and headed for his car.

The urgency to get back to Lily was now more desperate than ever.

××××××

Polly sat in the lounge and listened for the door opening. Tommy walked past the lounge and towards the stairs "She isn't here Thomas" she called out "she's gone to fetch the boys"

"I'll wait" Tommy replied, before walking into the sitting room. Polly stood up and slapped Tommy's face instinctively "She's your brother wife? How the fuck could you do that?"

"It wasn't something we planned Pol, it just sort of happened. Besides it's not like family meant anything to John either, she's Lilys sister remember" Tommy frowned "Did Lil say when she'll be back?"

"Before tea time, but you won't be here" Polly spat angrily "I've called John and he's on his way home now"

"Why would you call John?" Tommy shared Pollys anger now.

"Because he needs to make the effort to fix this mess before something happens that can't be taken back. So you both gave in to a desire that has been lingering for a long time, I should have ended it before it started..." Polly's eyes were dosed on Tommy's "But her and John can still save their marriage, it isn't too late...think of the kids Thomas"

"Pol I made the biggest mistake of my life when I walked away from her the first time. I'm not about to do it again..." Tommy frowned.

"You bastard...Thomas Shelby sees something he likes and will take it...fuck the consiquenses" Polly began to raise her voice "When did you become so pig ignorant and selfish...in fact don't answer that"

"I'm sorry Polly but I can't walk away again, not this time" Tommy inhaled "I love her..."

"Oh and that's alright then is it? You love her...so thats worth tearing this family apart over?" Polly continued to yell.

"Jesus Christ I can hear you both outside" Lily reappeared in the hallway. She closed the door behind her "Tommy, I didn't think you'd come back..."

"Lily we need to talk" Tommy spoke gently and Lily nodded much to Pollys horror.

"Alright" Lily spoke in barely a whisper.

"Please Thomas at least think about what this will do" Polly made one final plea before picking up her coat "Think of the children" she whispered to him before leaving the house.

"Polly said you were fetching the boys" Tommy poured himself a drink and then offered Lily one.

"Yes I was, but apparently Auntie Ada had promised to take them to the pictures for the afternoon...Tommy What did you want to say, because I'm guessing it's not about the boys" Lily sighed and stood in front of him.

"What happened earlier..." he began and Lily looked at the ground for a moment before returning her eye contact with him.

"I won't say I regret it Tom, or that it was a mistake. Because it wasn't a mistake for me" Lily expressed nervously, Tommy didn't say anything to begin with he just cupped her face in his hands "I know Polly was trying to..." before she could finish her sentence Tommy kissed her.

"Fuck Polly, and John and everyone else...Fuck 'em it's just you and me, right here, right now, it's just us" Tommy spoke gently, still with Lilys face cupped in his hands "I don't want to leave this house and make the second biggest mistake of my life and that's why I need you to know...I love you Lily. I have done since we were kids, I loved you when you told me you were pregnant with Connor, I loved you even more while I was in France. I even loved you when I watched you marry John, I've never stopped..." Lilys eyes filled with tears as Tommy spoke honestly to her.

"Tom" She gasped.

"Let me finish Lil, because I may never have this opportunity again" Tommy frowned "Now I know you and John...well What I'm trying to say is you have a choice, right now in this moment I'm giving you a choice and I promise I will respect whatever choice it is you make..."

"It's You..." Lily spoke out of turn and Tommy stopped instantly.

"What?" He wondered if he had heard wrong.

"It's always been you Tommy" Lily sniffed as she wiped the tears from her eyes "You said your biggest mistake was walking away from me...well mine was thinking I could ever love John the way I love you"

"Then come with me to London" Tommy moved his hands away from Lilys cheeks and walked a few steps away before turning to face her "I have new business there and I've brought a house, a big house in the countryside, with stables and land..."

"Thomas I...what about the boys" Lily looked a little concerned by Tommy's offer.

"They'll love it" Tommy smiled "Please Lily, say yes"

"Tom there's a lot to consider, I know I said I choose you. But this isn't just about me is it?" Lily paced the floor trying to take it all in "What about John? He's their father, he'd miss them terribly and then there's..."

"I thought you didn't have any regrets?" Tommy frowned as he moved closer to Lily.

"I don't, it's just..." Lily sighed.

"Then what's the problem, we could be happy together Lil, just you and me and the boys. I could make you happy" Tommy smiled gently.

"I want to say yes Thomas I do, but what about what the doctor said...I may never be able to give you a family, if we do this then you may never have anymore of your own children...just Connor..."

"And I can settle for that, as long as I've got you" Tommy was desperate for Lily to say yes, but the more they spoke the more he worried that maybe her ties to John were stronger than he first thought.

"I'm not sure I can settle for it though Tom...im not sure I can live my life knowing I am robbing you from so much..." Lily sniffed.

"Then don't settle for it knowing you have given me everything I've ever wanted" Tommy whispered before kissing Lilys lips gently "All you have to do is say yes..."

Lily inhaled deeply before giving Tommy her final decision...