Chapter Ten/Forbidden

Lily stomped furiously across the court yard and stormed into the Garrison "Where is he?" She balled at the barman who pointed towards the back room door.

John stood quickly behind the table of men, sitting in a circle of eight was John, Arthur, Tommy, Jeradiah, Charlie, Curly, Johny Dogs and Squidbones. As John walked around the table he was surprised to feel a hard slap across his face "You dirty fucking bastard how could you!!! Did you know...?" Everyone looked on in confusion as Lily ranted furiously "You did...my god you looked me in the eye and promised me no more secrets...christ John..."

"Lily please" John put his hand on her waist and she flung it away.

"Don't you Lily please Me, I can't even...I Don't..." Lily inhaled and exhaled deeply as she felt the room spin.

"Lily perhaps you and John should go home and talk" Tommy stood up and placed himself between Lily and John.

"Talk" Lily laughed with tears in her eyes "Do you know what he's done? Of course you do...I need some air...dont You dare fucking follow me John Shelby, in fact don't bother coming home or I swear to god I will stab you while you sleep"

Lily rushed towards the door and back out into the bar. She didn't hesitate for a second. Before she knew it she was home. Lizzy had already left, the house was completely empty. Lily stood against the wall and put her hand on her stomach, she sobbed uncontrollably as she slid down the wall, her heart breaking for the one thing she knew she could now never have.

×××××××

Tommy waited for an hour or so before heading over to Lily and John's house. John had gone to spend the night at Polly's house and Ada had agreed to pick up the boys from school and take them for the night.

As Tommy entered the house he was surprised by how silent it was "Lily" he called out, but there was no reply "LILY" he yelled again.

That's when he heard it, the sound of running water "Lil" Tommy ran up the stairs and halted instantly when he saw the bathroom door open ajar. He could see Lily's hair floating around above the surface "Fuck" Tommy was quick to open the door wider. He rushed towards the bath tub and plunged himself in, turning off the tap and lifting her head out of the water "Come on Lil" he pulled her into his arms and lifted her lifeless body out of the bath.

As he laid her out on the floor Lily began choking out water "Thank you god" Tommy mumbled under his breath "What were you thinking huh?" He scolded, Lily didn't reply she just burst into tears "It's alright, it's all gonna be alright" Tommy soothed, his shirt and jacket were still dripping from the bath as Lily cried in his arms. Her body trembled as she lost herself and let it all go.

"HOW CAN I LIVE NOW...KNOWING SHE CAN GIVE HIM THE ONE THING I CAN'T" Lily sobbed as Tommy continued to hold her close "HOW CAN I STILL CALL MYSELF A WOMAN IF..."

"LILY STOP" Tommy yelled "You are still a woman, you are a mother...just because you can't have anymore children that doesn't mean..."

"How can I ever be enough for him now Tommy...he promised me no more secrets..." Lily sniffed.

"I know" Tommy inhaled deeply as he watched Lily "But you listen to me, you are worth a million of any other woman. No woman will ever come close to you"

Lily didn't reply she just looked up into Tommy eyes "Look why don't you go and get changed into some dry clothes, while I pour us both a drink"

Lily nodded and disappeared.

×××××××

Tommy found it difficult to stay downstairs while Lily got changed, he stopped pouring the whiskey and headed upstairs.