Chapter Thirteen

"I take it he knows then?" Lizzy handed Lily a glass of Gin "About you and Tommy?"

"What do you want Lizzy?" Lily spoke harshly to her sister "Why are you here?"

"Well that's nice" Lizzy spat angrily "It's a good job I was here Lily, if I hadn't have come just now god knows what John would have done"

"Where is John?" Lily looked around but couldn't see the man who had now become stranger to her.

"He ran out after I hit him" Lizzy replied "Must have been ashamed of himself"

"He had every right to be angry...but that man just now...that wasn't my John" Lily inhaled "To be honest Lizzy I think my John got left behind in France, it's just his empty vessel they sent home"

"Don't make excuses for what he did Lily" Lizzy looked at the ground "Or what I did"

"I can hardly hold a grudge now can I? Not now Tommy and I plan on moving away" Lily looked at Lizzy who smiled weakly.

"I know but..." Lizzy seemed puzzled by Lily's sudden change of tone.

"But nothing" Lily grabbed Lizzy's hand "You are my sister and the only real family I have...you made a mistake and so did I...but let's not dwell on the" they were interrupted by footsteps rushing towards them "LILY" Tommy's voice echoed behind them "Lil"

Tommy saw Lily and rushed towards her, pulling her tightly into his arms.
"Where's John?"

Neither Lizzy or Lily answered "What's happened?"

Lizzys eyebrows furrowed as Lily shook her head, silently pleading with her sister, not to mention anything.

"He left" Lily spoke quickly "I told him I loved you and he just left"

"Okay good" Tommy seemed relieved by Lily's response. He was a little confused by Lizzys presence at the house "Lizzy" his tone demanded an explanation.

"She came to clear the air" Lily frowned "Please Tom, she's family"

"Family?" Tommy began harshly.

"Yes Tommy family" Lizzy interrupted "Just like you are John's family" she scolded, reminding her brother in law of his recent betrayal.

Tommy hesitated "Fair enough" he inhaled deeply and looked down at his love "Are you sure you're alright Lil? You're trembling"

Lily tried to hide her obvious state with a smile and a determined nod "I'm fine Tom, just happy all this is over and we don't need to hide anything anymore"

"I'll leave you both" Lizzy realised Tommy and Lily still had alot to talk about.

As Lizzy left the house Lily touched her arm "Thank you" she whispered with tears in her eyes. Lizzy didn't reply she just nodded.

Tommy stood in front of Lily, he gently pushed some loose strands of hair behind her left ear. Taking a deep breath in he finally spoke "Lily, I know you" Tommy knew she was hiding something from him "Tell me what happened here tonight..."

"Tommy I told you..." Lily smiled weakly as she reached up and touched Tommy's hand "John was upset when I confirmed I loved you not him, he left"

Tommy inhaled as Lily moved closer to him "Please Tom lets just move forward, we don't have to hide anymore. Lets be happy with that for now"

××××

It was late morning when Polly arrived at John's house, she found him in bed with two women.

Polly threw back the curtains, causing embarrassment amongst the young women who were both naked.

"FUCK SAKE POLLY" John yelled as he rose up "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

"You were meant to open up this morning" Polly snarled.

"Well forgive me for being late, but I've just had my world turned on its arse" John retaliated vicisiously "She has taken the boys Polly, my boys"

"That's no excuse to act like a stallion at a fucking stud farm" Polly spat furiously "You've got 20 minutes to get rid of your whores and get to work" Polly took one last disgusted glance at the women before leaving the room, slamming the door shut behind her.

××××

Lily woke to the sound of birds, and the smell of bacon and eggs cooking. She searched around the room and found Tommy sat on the chair reading the paper.

"Tommy?" She spoke sleepily "Why aren't you in bed?"

"I have been out, taken the boys to school..." Tommy smiled before putting the paper on the dressing table and climbing onto the bed.

"School? Jesus Tom what time is it? Why didnt you wake me?" Lily threw back the covers.

"Shhhh it's okay, Mary gave them eggs for breakfast. Ham sandwiches for their lunch boxes. You were tired, I wanted to let you rest" Tommy sat in front of Lily and kissed her.

"You really are a dream Thomas Shelby" Lily chuckled "Perhaps I should reward you for your efforts" she smirked as she moved closer to Tommy and kissed him more passionately. The pair fell down between the sheets, Tommy's hand moved to Lilys waist as her leg wrapped around him.

××××

Polly scowled as she watched John walk into the office "Nice of you to show yourself" Polly poured him some coffee "When are you going to stop this John?"

"Stop what?" John spat "My wife has left me Polly, for my fucking brother. And of that's not bad enough, she has taken my boys and gone to live with him in some big perfect house. While I'm stuck here, in this shithole with nothing"

"Nothing? What about Lizzy and the baby?" Polly frowned "And those boys might not be here, but they are still yours John"

"Are they? How do I know they aren't all Tommy's?" John was obviously hurting. He picked up the bottle of whiskey on the sideboard and began unscrewing the lid.

"Because no matter what you think of Lily, she was never unfaithful to you John. She was a loyal wife, she loved you the best she could. And she gave you a family" Polly took the bottle of whiskey from John's hand.

"And now she's taken it away from me again" John sniffed "I love her so much Pol, I should never have done what I did with Lizzy...she will never forgive me not now, not after what I did"

"It isn't too late John, Lily understands what happened with Lizzy was a mistake" Polly tried to reassure him "She is just angry, and Tommy..."

"She is better off with him" John slumped down in a chair and inhaled deeply "He would never do what I did, she would never fear him..."

"Lily doesn't fear you John, why would she?" Polly was confused by John's rambling.

"You didn't see the way she looked at me Polly, that night I went after her. She told me to stop and I couldn't..." John's revelation shocked Polly, she crouched down in front him.

"What are you talking about John, what did you do?"

"Nothing because Lizzy stopped me, but I could have Pol, I was going to...if it wasn't for Lizzy, I wouldn't have stopped..." John broke down in tears as the guilt consumed him.

Polly wasn't sure how to react, this didn't sound like John. He would never do something so cruel, especially not to Lily.