Chapter One

Lily looked flustered as she left the house with all four of her boys fighting around her feet "Connor will you leave your brother alone, Liam stop that's enough" She had found herself between the two eldest, separating them.

"You heard your mother boys" A man's voice echoed behind them. It was Tommy "I thought I told you all to behave while your father's away"

The unruly boys suddenly looked at the ground "Sorry Uncle Tommy" Connor was the first to apologise, the rest of the boys took his example and also apologised.

"Thank you Tommy" Lily was grateful for Tommy interference "They're usually such good boys, I think they're missing John" She watched as they all started playing with a ball in the street "Sorry did you want something?"

"Oh yeah here it's John's share of this week's profits" Tommy handed Lily an envelope "I've taken care of court charges and John's Lawyer" he added much to Lily's surprise.

"Thank you" Lily smiled. The pair stood in silence for a moment, as Tommy reached up the move some hair from Lily's face, She quickly took a step backwards "I better go, get these terrors to school"

"Yeah of course, Oh Lil there is a family meeting at 1 o'clock sharp. You need to be there" Tommy called back as he walked away. Lily walked towards the boys and led them back onto the pavement.

×××××××

"Pretty isn't She, your wife" one of the officers taunted John "Maybe I should pay her a visit"

"You go anywhere near her and I swear to god I will cut you to fucking pieces" John spat visiously as he banged against the door of his cell.

"And how do you plan on doing that Mr Shelby, while I'm out here and you're in there" The officer continued smugly.

"I have protection for her on the outside, you touch her and you'll wind up dead one way or Another" John's threat wasn't an empty one, he knew for a fact Tommy nor Arthur would allow any harm to come to Lily or his boys.

×××××××

"Mrs Shelby, Mrs Shelby" A female voice called out as Lily walked out of the school gates.

"Oh hello Katie, is everything alright?" It was the boys teacher, a young blonde haired woman.

"Connor told me about Mr Shelby" Katie gasped for breath "Thing is...he hasn't been himself and..."

"Well what did you expect? Connor and his Dad are close" Lily was quick to defend her eldest boy "Look I don't know what he's told you exactly but John is facing the gallows, they plan on hanging him for his crimes so yes it's going to have an effect on all his boys" Lily continued angrily "But this isn't the real problem is it, it's not my boys it's the fact their father is a Peaky Blinder...I've seen you all looking and whispering. Yes John might be a Shelby, but he is a good, kind man underneath and he loves those children...which is a damn sight more than most of the father's of kids who come to this school. I know they are a little unsettled at the moment but your job is to teach them. As for our business, well that's our own..." Lily ranted furiously causing Katie's mouth to gape. Little did Lily realise that her boys had witnessed her whole speech, smiles appeared on all of their faces as their mother stood her ground.

××××××

"She's struggling Tommy" Polly frowned as they discussed Lily and the boys and John's absence.

"She's doing alright Poll" Tommy corrected his Aunt "The boys..."

"I don't mean with the boys Thomas" Polly sighed "I mean...being pregnant while their dad's away is bound to take a strain and Lily doesn't exactly have straight forward pregnancies at the best of times.

"What are you saying Polly?" Arthur wasn't really sure what Polly was worried about.

"If Lily doesn't get the help she needs then she could lose the baby" Ada interrupted and Polly threw her a glare "What? They need to know" she then nodded her head gently.

"Ada's right, this pregnancy is already taking a toll and with 4 unruly boys, and John in prison..." Polly explained.

"We'll all do what we can" Tommy interrupted the women "To take care of Lily and the boys"

××××××

"I'm sorry I'm late" Lily came crashing through the door in a frenzy. Her arm had a graze on it and she had a cut on her head.

"Christ Lily what's happened?" Polly rushed to tend to her.

"I tripped over, got my shoe caught in a crack on the pavement" Lily replied as she sat down "Its nothing just a scuff, I fell into the wall"

"What about the baby?" Ada wondered.

"Its fine I didn't fall on my stomach, just my arm and side mainly" Lily winced as Polly touched her cuts and grazes.

"You shouldn't be rushing around in your condition Lil" Polly scolded and Lily lowered her head a little.

"I didn't want to be late did I? I fell asleep in the chair and when I woke up it was almost 1 o'clock" Lily's explanation made Tommy smile a little.

"I'd rather you were late and arrive in one piece than...well you know" Tommy sighed "Anyway you don't need to rush to fetch the boys I'll take you in the car"

"Thank you Tom" Lily smiled weakly.

××××××

"It would seem your brother has a plan for you after all" an officer on the Shelby pay role grinned "You'll be out of here by the end of the week"

"For certain?" John too shared his grin.

"Yeah they're filling the paperwork in as we speak" The officer added "A couple of days tops they said"

John let his head roll back against the wall as he silently rejoiced, the thought of going home to Lily was the only thing keeping him sane at this moment in time.

×××××××

Lily had gone outside to wait in the car while Tommy collected some documents he needed for a meeting. Polly had been watching him closely at the meeting and she had seen something which concerned her. She waited until she was alone with Tommy before voicing her worries "She's married to your brother Thomas" Polly started and Tommy just raised his eyebrows "I've seen you, and yes she might have been yours first, but she is John's now and he loves her more than..."

"Polly, I care for her as I care for Ada. That ship sailed a long time ago, I would never..." Tommy defended himself quickly.

"Well as long as you don't" Polly warned "Its a line brothers don't cross"

"I know, and it's a line I drew Polly" Tommy spoke sternly.