I

Shopping day always meant an early morning for all in the Cube

The loud buzzer and flashing red light pulled Venus from her slumber. She sat up and rubbed the sleep from her eyes while the door to her white cell slid open.

She felt like she had just returned and her rest period hadn't lasted long enough but she knew that the medics would release her.

She filed out behind the other females in her pod and made her way to the showers. A fresh new pair of clothes waited for her. On shopping days all the males and females where dressed in clingy white tanks and leggings. The patrons needed to be able to see every flaw, not the Venus or the other really had any. That was the point of the breeders. All imperfections where bred out giving the patrons a chance to make a perfect child.

After the shower, the females made their way to the common room cantina where they were served a fully nutritional meal.

Venus scanned her golden bracelet before receiving her tray. Along with the food and water sat two pink pills that she recognized all too well.

She sighed knowing that the pills meant that they were preparing her for the breeding. Her shoulders sank knowing that she would be following her fellow Breeders into the mall that morning and dread filled her thinking about what was to come that afternoon.

She scanned the room looking for her best friend, Mars. Everyone in the cube was named after celestial forms she and Mars where a few that ran through the planetary names.

"Morning, V," He said cheerfully as he sat down.

"What has you in a good mood?" She grumbled.

He shrugged his shoulders, "I'm not I was just trying to make the day better."

She gave him a small smile, "Thanks but I don't think that's possible today."

His brows drew together in concern, "You're not going today are you?"

Venus held up her small cup of vitamins, "Cheers to shopping day."

"V, they can't keep doing this to you."

"I don't really have a say, do I?"

The clatter of a tray next to her made Venus jump and turn to see her friend Cas pressing her hand against her swollen abdomen.

"Damn," Cas gasped. "I think the bastard's coming today."

"You need to get to the clinic," Venus told her.

"Hell no!" Cas protested, "I'm eating breakfast first." Cas sat down next to her and adjusted her tray as Mars and Venus looked on with concern.

"Number 12192050, Cassiopeia. Please report to the clinic." A voice announced over the intercom.

"Damn it!" Cas complained.

"You know they're always watching," Mars interjected.

"Yeah but they could at least let me finish my damn meal!" she huffed before stuffing her mouth full of eggs. "Mutter muckers." she mumbled out through her food.