P2 II

"No.  No of course not, V," Peter told her, "well either figure out how to get you down into the cave or-"

"Or what?" Venus nervously asked.

Peter sighed, "Or you and I stay up here alone and try and survive the winter alone."

"You and I?" Venus questioned in surprise.

Peter nodded, "You're one of us now, V, you're a Lost Boy and we aren't going to abandon you."

It gave her a little assurance.   She hated the thought that it was her that was weighing the camp down.  She hardly had time to settle in, unlike Cas and  Mars.  They were both placed in their tasks and fit nicely,  but Venus never seemed to be able to settle anywhere.

Peter wanted her within the camp, especially after she told him that it was twins she was carrying, he knew it wouldn't take long before simple tasks would become difficult for her.

Mars, he set to help hunt and scavage for food.  He quickly became one of the best hunters they had.  Cas he set up in the technical camp.   The camp ran off solar energy and had sensory blockers set up in a perimeter to keep unwanted pods and scanners away.  They also had an intricate security system set to, all of which were smuggled to the from trusted people on the outside. Cas was doing remarkably in there and even had suggestions on how to amp their power and make it last longer through the night.

Venus had gone to the tech tent but was more of a hindrance than a help.  He then moved her to the food tent.  With no success, their either her created the laundry job for her.   Even then she didn't quite succeed.   Colors bled together and most everyone was soon wearing a muddled blend of colors.

Venus was created for one thing and it was the only thing she seemed to be good at.  The babies were growing healthy and strong within her.  Venus knew she was successful at her tasks but it wasn't from lack of trying.  

At night she often laid in her tent thinking about what Danielson had told her so many months ago, "When I first designed you I wasn't just wanting a female that could reproduce healthy offspring. I wanted an almost perfect human being."

She would laugh at  herself with tear-soaked cheeks, "Perfect."

Venus sighed, "Peter, I can't let you do that.  If I have to stay up here then I  should do it alone.   I can't let you risk your life for me."

"I wasn't asking your permission, V, I'm staying.  Besides, that is our very last resort."

A commotion outside the camp drew both of their attention away causing them both to rush outside.

The hunters had come back.  Mars and girl named, Bridget, was carrying a slumped over boy named, Gaven.  At first, Venus couldn't see why he was being carried until she saw a half-buried arrow sticking out of Gaven's gut.  Peter must have seen it as well because he left her side and ran up to the group.

"What happened?" He demanded.

"Rega thought he was a deer," Bridget informed him.

Venus's gaze shot toward a trembling young girl that was only a couple of years younger than her. Rega's dark skin was ashen with fear.

Venus watched as Mars and Bridget brought Gaven closer and,  even though she didn't know how or why she slowly realized she knew what to do to help him.

"Bring him here," she called out.

Peter turn, completely forgetting that she was there,  and looked at her curiously.  

No one in the camp had any medical training.   They didn't even have a medical tent.  Lucky for them they had skimmed by, up until that point,  without any injury and it was rare that an MB fell sick.

Mars and Bridget quickly brought the injured boy to her and gently laid him on the table.

"What are you going to do?" Mars asked her, knowing she was just as qualified as anyone else in the camp.

Venus didn't answer him because she was too focused on what she needed to do.  She ripped a shirt off the line, even though it was still damp it would still absorb some of the blood.

"Someone get me a knife, thread, and a needle," she ordered to no one in particular.

"Don't tell me you're planning on staking the arrow out," Peter said doubtfully of her ability.

"I am," she simply stated and wrapped the shirt around the arrow, careful not to bump it.

Mars handed over his hunting knife and she gladly took it.  With the knife, she gently cut open the shirt Gaven was wearing.  The poor boy was in pain and groaned as she slowly worked.

"I need it sterilized," she said handing the knife back to Mars.

"With what?"

She looked around not sure what they could use to get the knife completely clean. 

With a sigh and out of options she finally said, "With hot water."

"Will, that work?" Mars asked.

"It's going to have to," she told him.

Mars ran out of the tent to clean the knife for her.  By the time he got back Venus's hand was firmly placed on the arrow and a stick was placed in Gaven's mouth.

"Sorry," Venus quickly said before pulling the arrow out of his abdomen.  Gavin bit down on the stick and screamed in pain.

Not much blood followed and Venus waited a moment before she breathed a sigh of relief, "I don't think it hit anything."

"It obviously hit something," Mars sarcastically replied.

Venus shot him a glare before returning her attention back to Gavin, "I meant something internally."

She was handed the needle and Venus bit her lower lip looking up at Gavin's pain-stricken face.

She glanced over at Peter who knew why she was hesitating.

"You'll have to do it," he said.

Venus nodded and leaned up toward's Gavin head and apologized, "Sorry, Gaven, this is going to hurt like hell."

A whimper came from him before she went back to her work.  The first dive of the needle sent the boy into a shrilling fit.  Mars, Peter and two others had to hold him down before she could continue on.

"He should pass out from the pain!" she exclaimed.

With each thread of the needle, the boy screamed on.

"Hurry, V!" Peter cried.

"I'm trying."

A/N:

Sorry if these aren't very good.  I probably should edit chapter 1 and 2 of part 2.  I feel like they are missing something.  Hope I'm not letting you all down.