P2 XV

Venus could feel Bridget's eye boring into her as she wrapped up Peter's leg.   She tried to ignore it but the weight kept pressing down on her.  When she finished up with Peter she shot a glance over her shoulder.  Bridget was still staring but was facing Bridget and uddering something to her that Venus couldn't hear.

"They're wanting to leave us behind," Peter whispered.

"What?!"  Venus gasped as she looked up him in shock.

"Well... at least Bridget does.  I can read her lips."

"What is Mars saying?" She asked her head whipping back to mars and Bridget.

"I can't tell," he told her, " his back has been facing me most of the time.  By the look on his face, though, I can only assume he isn't thrilled with the idea."

Venus breathed a sigh of relief.  

"Bridget thinks we'll slow her down," Peter informed her.  He sighed and shifted his weight, "She's right, too.  Neither of us will be able to move very fast or very far."

"That doesn't mean they should just abandon us," Venus hissed and returned Bridget's glare with one of her own.

The glaring look that Venus shot her threw Briget off a bit, and with a fluttering blink, she focused her gaze back on Mars.

"It isn't fair to ask them to stay behind either," Peter pointed out.

"But what about us?" Venus asked.

"We'd be fine without them," he assured her.  "I've lived in the woods for several years.  I know every square inch of them by heart.  I also know the pattern of scouting drones that patrols through these woods.  We'd be fine."

"What if the pattern changes?" Venus asked.

"The pattern hasn't changed in the three years that I've lived out here," he told her.

"Sounds like it's due for a switched then," she mumbled.

Peter chuckled, "I didn't think you'll have to worry," he said, "I don't think Mars would ever leave you here."

"I'm not so sure," she admitted to him.  "I haven't exactly been his favorite person lately."

"You're wrong.  I haven't been his favorite person," he replied.  "Mars thinks I'm trying to push him out and push my way in."

"Into where?"

"Into your life."

Venus rolled her eyes, "That's ridiculous, he doesn't actually think that."

"If he did," Peter said completely focused on her, "he wouldn't be completely wrong."

Venus looked at him surprised, "What do you mean?"

"I'm not trying to force him out.  I would never do that to you...or him.  But I am trying to make a spot for myself in your life.  I've seen you with Cas and Mars.  You don't just love them and care for them as normal friends do.  You need them.  They own a part of your heart and if something were to happen to them it would tear you apart.  I want you to need me the same way you need them."

A curious scowl crested on her brow, "Why?"

"Because I need you, Venus.  I need you that badly.  I'm not even sure how I excited without you before we met."

Venus stared at him in shock and wonder.  She went completely numb.  numb from the cold, numb from the cold wither sounds of the forest, numb from her own feelings.  It was like she was trapped in a globe, and her mind tried to process everything he had just told her.

Peters voices sounded like it was muffled through a thick glass as she quietly told her, "I love you, Venus."  She wasn't sure she even heard him correctly.   She wasn't sure she wanted to hear him correctly.  Her thought went to the babies, she needed to focus on them, and how to keep them safe.  

"Venus?" Peter's face and voice were full of concern.   

Venus stood up and brushed herself off, "I'm going to talk to them," she announced.

Peter's gaze flicked between Venus and the other two. 

Venus wasn't sure what she was going to talk to them about, but she needed space between her and Peter.  She felt like the air in her lungs was being pressed out of her chest.

Bridget noticed her approaching, she nudged Mars's arm and nodded toward her.  Mars turned to see her approaching.  His aggravation toward Bridget melted away and he gave her a small smile.

"How are you doing?"  he asked.

"Peter's leg is going to be fine," she said offering up the unasked for information, "but I think he needs to rest it for the night."

Bridget looked at her leader in concern, to Venus's surprise.  

"He should be fine, right," she asked.

"Yeah, that's why I said his leg was going to be fine," Venus bit, "but I think he'd be even better if you weren't trying to abandon him here."

Mars and Bridget looked at her in shock.  

"Peter can read your lips," she informed them.  

"We aren't going to leave either of you here alone," Mars assured her.

Bridget cut him a cold glare but kept silent.

"The two of you agreed to help us get to the camp," she reminded them.

"Venus, we know, we aren't leaving," Mars told her.

Venus shot Bridget a quick glance but then nodded toward Mars.

As she started to walk away Mars grabbed her arm to stop her, "Can I talk to you...privately?"

Bridget didn't seem to happy about his request but with a roll of the eyes, she went over to sit near Peter.

Once Bridget was out of earshot Mars looked down at Venus, "I don't care about what Bridget wants to do.  I'm not going to leave you out here undefended," he told her.  "You're still my best friend, V."

A/N: 

I'm crying tears of happiness.   The Breeders ranked #1 in Dystopian!  I think it's dropped to number 5 now,  but at one point it was number one.

Also, I disappeared from Wattpad Land for a few days and I am floored that the reads jumped up 2,000 reads!  It's wonderful.

Sorry it took so long to update, and I know this isn't really an awesome chapter but things will pick up soon

Thank you all

Lots of love  ❤,

Reading_Mermaid08