P2 XII

"It's going to take us all day just to get up this damn hill," Bridget muttered just loud enough for Mars to hear.

Mars looked over his shoulder to see Peter insisting that she rest... again.

Venus didn't argue, telling  Mars that she actually needed another break.  Bridget was right, saying that it was taking to long, but he knew they couldn't rush her.

She was barely halfway through her pregnancy and already looked full term. The heavy weight of the twins was evident in the way she walked.

Peter knelt down next to her, and quietly whispered something in her ear, causing her to give him a small smile.

It made Mars's jaw twitch.  The vile poison filled words fell out of his mouth before he could reign them in, "We've been here long enough.   We need to keep going. The two of you are slowing us down."

Venus looked up at him.  At first, he thought Venus's jaw was open in surprise, but he realized she was panting.  He instantly regretted saying anything, but Bridget was beaming at him and Peter was glaring.   The satisfaction that he finally that he had gotten under their brave and fearless leader's skin, set in.

Mars stomped down the hillside toward him, after Peter turned away to ignore him, "Didn't you hear me?  We have to go."

"She needs to rest," Peter firmly told him.

"You need to quit babying her," he replied,  "She's stronger than you think.  Come on, V, we got to keep moving."

Still breathing hard,  Venus started to stand.

Peter stuck his arms out to help her, but said, "There's no rush, V, catch your breath."

She quickly glanced from Peter to Mars.  Her body was telling her to listen to Peter, but her head said to follow Mars.

She and Mars had just started getting along again and didn't want to ruin it.   But her lungs were being squished by the babies and she felt like she couldn't breathe.

She was still holding onto Peter's arm after he had helped her up, and his other arm was gently wrapped around her back.

She desperately looked over at Mars, "I just need a couple more minutes."

"V," he started to say but Peter cut him off, quietly literally.  Peter stepped between Mars and Venus.

Peter's stance screamed, 'I dare you to take another step,' but to Venus, she just assumed he was being protective.

Mars sneered at him wanting to accept the challenge.   What nerve did he have stepping between him and the Mother of his kids?

Mars stepped forward to accept the challenge,  Peter was a thin guy and about Mars's height, he was sure he could take him.

Peter stretched out his hand to stop his advances.  With a gruff warning tone Peter suggested, "I think while V resting, it might be a good idea to scout ahead and make sure it's clear."

"Come on, Mars," Bridget called out.

Mars glanced at Venus, who was too wrapped up in trying to catch her breath, to care about what was going on.

"Fine," he said before going up to Bridget.

Peter watched Bridget and Mars disappear into the woods before he turned back to Venus.

"What an asshole," he muttered. He was talking more to himself than to Venus.

"He wasn't always like that," she replied.