P3 XIII

The teens pushed themselves through the woods, only stopping to eat.  The closer they got to the town the more likely it was that they would get caught. 

Before they left camp, Layla instructed them that they would have to move quickly and quietly.

Mars and Venus nervously hunched down next to each just inside the tree line, as they waited for Layla's signal.

They watched her as she slowly crept through the tall grass. Layla reminded Mars of a cautious doe creeping through an open field.

When Layla was confident that the coast was clear she waved to her companions, who carefully sprinted across the open plain.

Layla guided them through dark streets and damp alleys until she stopped at a wooden fence.   Layla moved a garbage bin and pulled at a couple of loose boards, before waving them through.

Mars hugged his little bundle, that was comfortably sleeping against her father's chest, in a blanket sling.

He carefully squeezed through the fence with Venus and Layla following close behind.   The small group found themselves in a dark backyard.  An idle swing set caught Venus's eye as a ghostly breeze pushed a swing gently back and forth.

Layla ducked into a small lean-to attached to the house.   It was small and the only thing holding it together was a few boards and some lattice work.  It was half filled with firewood and a thick layer of dead leaves played on its grass floor.

Layla stooped down and started brush leaves to the side, wafting up the smell of their musky decay.

"What are we doing out here?" Mars nervously whispered.

"Shhhhh," Layla quickly hushed.

"Here it is," Layla said as she lifted a hatch beneath the leave and grass, "get in."

Venus went first with Mars and Layla closely behind her.  A set of cold concrete steps lead to a dark hole.  By the time Venus got to the bottom, she couldn't see the nose on her face.  The three bumped into each other until Layla found the heavy door.  As soon as she opened it a soft yellow glow filled the concrete landing.  

Once inside they found a small apartment, where a sitting area, a tiny kitchen, and a table met them.

Once the door was closed and locked Layla told them to, make themselves at home.

"Where are we?" Venus asked.

"The hobble.  Or at least that's what my dad calls it.  Mom and Dad both tried to keep Shaw and me from being drafted," she told them as she flipped a switch on the wall.

"Before either of them found out  about Peter's escape, dad started building a place to keep us hidden."

"Your parents were going to imprison you down here?" Mars asked.

Layla scowled, "No, not imprison.   Protect us, until they figured out a better alternative.   Which,  thankfully, they did when Peter ran away.  So this ended up being a safe house for us."

"So, we're safe down here?"  Venus asked.

"As safe as we are in the woods.  It's soundproof down here and the entrances are hidden.  This," Layla said pointing to the switch she flipped, "turns on a lamp in my parents' house letting them know we're down here."

Venus took a seat on the couch in the room and Mars sat close by her, both keeping their children close to them.  Layla flopped down in a nearby chair.

"How long do we need to be here?" Mars asked.

"Just long enough to get the food supplies then we can head back to camp, but trust me, it's hard to leave.  We have a warm shower down here, plenty of food, and soft beds.  If it wasn't for the lack of daylight, it'd be paradise."

Layla's "paradise" reminded Venus of the Breeding pods and the heavy feeling of discomfort weighed down on her.  She looked over at Mars to see the same stiffness on his face that she was feeling.  She reached over and squeezed his hand.  She could feel him relax a little and he gave her a reassuring smile.

Layla looked between the two of them and scowled, "What's up with the two of you?  You look like I've set you up for some kind of ambush."

"We don't do well with enclosed places," Mars told her.

Layla's eyes grew wide, "Oh.  Because of the Cube?"

Mars nodded.

"Shit.  I am so sorry," she apologized, "I didn't even think about it.  Look we don't have to stay down her long, but it is safer down here than it is out in the open."

"It's fine," Venus told her, "you said there was a shower?"

Layla nodded, "Sure is.  Let me show you,"

She hopped up from her chair and Venus carefully unwrapped Dex, "Can you watch both of them?"

"Of course," he told her.  She followed Layla down a dark hall and into a bedroom that was set up in the bunker.  

"This was going to be one of our rooms.  There are only two down here, but the beds are soft and the shower is warm."

Layla showed her the bathroom and after a long, and much-needed shower, Venus got out and towelled off.  When she walked out of the bathroom she was wrapping the towel around her.  To her surprise, Mars was laying Pepa down on the bed next to her brother.  Venus quickly covered herself and Mars looked away.

"Sorry, they were just getting squirmy and tired," he told her.  "Layla suggested laying them down in here."

"It's fine," Venus told him, "I suppose you've seen it all before."

Not that it made it any less embarrassing for her.

"You've lost weight, a lot of weight."

Venus knew she had.  It was difficult to stay a healthy weight and feed the babies.  She was happy that she was getting enough nutrition to keep producing milk for the twins.

"Medics in the Cube would have put me on a feeding tube if I was still there," she replied.

"Medics in the Cube can screw themselves," Mars grumbled, "but we should try and get more weight on you."

"We will," she assured him, "when we get to New Anada."

She sat down on the edge of the bed and Mars sat next to her.

"Do you ever wonder?" She asked. "If I made the right choice?  I took you and Cas out of the Cube so that we could be free, and so that I wouldn't have to lose Dex and Pepa, but we're homeless and starving.  Even if we get to New Anada, we won't know how we'll be treated.  Peter makes it sound like most Norms hate us.  In the Cube we were fed, we were clothed, we had nice beds-"

"And we were slaves," Mars finished, "I'd rather die poor, homeless, hungry, and free than go through another day at the Cube."

Muffled voices could be heard from the other side of the door.  Venus looked over her shoulder as Mars told her, "It's just Layla's parents.  They brought down dinner for us.  They seem like nice people.  They gushed over Dex and Pepa."

The smell of dinner wafted into the room and Venus's stomach growled in response.

Mars smirked and stood up, "Layla told me that there were clean clothes in the drawers for you.  Come out and eat whenever you're ready."

A/N:

Well, I  finally did it.  I started an Instagram account.  If you're interested in following me feel free (@) reading_mermaid08. Real creative, right. 😂  Anyway, It'll give you great insight into my real life, excluding my kids.  Sorry, won't post pics of them, but you can take my word for it, they are stinking cute!

I did start the discord chat and I will try to leave a link in the discord chat below.