P2 V

Drowsiness finally started to creep it's way back to Venus as she quietly sat next to Peter.  He was in complete awe for the little battle that was going on inside her.  One of the babies had woken up its sibling causing both to kick at each other.

Peter looked up at the half-asleep Venus with a smile.  As soon as he saw her heavy-lidded eyes his smile lessened into a soft grin.

"You need to get some rest," he told her.

She shook her head.  The last thing she wanted was to drift off into another dream that had woken her up int eh first place.

"Come on," he rose from his seat and offered her his hand.  Venus gladly took it and help helped the well-burdened mother to her feet.

He guided her out of the tent and toward her own.

"I'm not tired," she lied.

"You can't keep your eyes open, V," he laughed.

She sighed and finally told him, "I had a bad dream, okay."

He gave her a sympathetic look before replying, "Must have been really bad."

Venus nodded and shivered as she remembered the look Danielson gave her before taking her babies away.  To reassure that they were still there she ran a hand over her belly.

"About the babies?"

She nodded again, "I know it's not something you probably understand, but I've had five children taken from me," she told him.

"These aren't going anywhere, V," he assured her.

"But what if they find me?"

"Hey," Peter stopped her by gently grabbing her arm and turning her toward him, "they won't.  These babies are yours now and always will be."

Tears welled up in her eyes, "The others were mine too, at least I considered them mine, and they still took them away."

He sighed unsure of how to heal her hurting heart.  Venus was right, it wasn't something he understood.  Sure, he lost Pepa, but Pepa was his sister, not his child.  Pepa was also dead and gone, but Venus's children were alive happily playing with and loving the people that bought them.  

He wrapped his arms around her and gently ran his hand over the top of her head, "These two aren't going anywhere.  I promise."

As much as Venus wanted to believe him, but something in the pit of her stomach wouldn't let her. 

Maybe it was the hormones,  maybe it was nothing good ever happened in her life, that wasn't tainted with negativity.

She lived a comfortable life at The Cube, but at the cost of being their breed dog.  She had one night of passion with  Mars, she even thought it might be love, at least a hint of it, but almost got Mars killed because of it. She escaped The Cube but got Pepa killed.   She was able to get out of The Cube before the twins were born with Cas and Mars, but Mars wouldn't talk to her much less look at her anymore.

With every good, there was always a bad.   The twins were about to be the best thing that ever happened to her, and she wasn't sure if she was ready to pay the cost.

"I want to believe you," she replied.

"You can," he encouraged.

He gently caressed her cheek. Venus froze, surprised and unsure of what to do.

Peter was showing signs of affection, or at least she thought he was.  She wasn't expecting it and wasn't sure how she felt about it.

She knew what affection lead to, that's why The Cube discouraged it.  She wasn't ready to be intimate with a man.  Not again, not for a long while.   She just wanted to be left alone in that sense.  Maybe not forever.  Love, real love, sounded amazing.   She had read about it in books, not the passion part, but the feeling of needing someone's presence.  Having them constantly on your mind while you were parted and the satisfaction you feel when you finally see them again.

That sounded amazing.

Peter's hand drifted around to the nape of her neck as he leaned in closer.   Venus's heart raced as part of her wanted him to kiss him and the other didn't. 

With every inch, the battle raged on between her head and her heart.   Her heart cried yes, but head said no.

She could feel his breath on her lips and her's hitched in her throat.

"Peter " she whispered as she put her hand on his chest to stop him.

He didn't come any closer but he didn't back away either.   He just waited.  His light blue eyes danced with desire as he stared into her violet ones.

"I should get to bed," she finally said.

Peter lingered for a moment longer before reluctantly backing away.

"Will you be alright?" He asked.

Venus nodded, "I'll be fine."

"Maybe I should walk you to your tent," he offered.

Venus meant to say no but her head nodded in agreement.   Her own body was betraying her and she didn't know why.

A small hopeful smile lingered just in the corner of his mouth as they walked in an awkward silence toward her tent.

Peter had tried to kiss her and she stopped him.  She didn't regret stopping him, but she was entirely sure why she did.  Yes, she didn't want to be in relationships just yet. 

She wanted to figure who she was outside of The Cube first.  She wanted to know that she was something more than DNA and an incubator.

She liked Peter.  He was extremely handsome blonde hair, light blue eyes,  tall- even for an MB- and he risked his own life to help free her and her friends.

He already had a special place in her heart, like Mars and Cas did, but she wasn't sure if it was friendship or more.   She didn't want to hurt Peter like hurt Mars. 

She couldn't let the distraction of "love," if that was even what it was, distract her anyway.   She had the babies to think about.   Soon they would be outside the protection of her womb, and for the first time, she would have to raise them.  She had to think of them first.   They would always come first.