P3 XI

"What do mean, you're going?" Mars asked Bridget.

"You said yourself you'll only be a week or to behind," she told him.

"I said that to encourage you to stay," he told her.

"Mars," she sighed, "it'll only be a few weeks and I can start setting up our new life while I wait for you.  It's just with the majority of the camp moving,  they are going to need as much help as they can get.  I'm one of the originals, and Shaw personally asked for me to help."

Even though he asked her to stay she hadn't given him an answer, until he found her packing up her things with the rest of the camp that was leaving.

"I didn't realize you and Shaw where so close," he grumbled.

"We aren't, but as I said, I was one of the first ones here.  I'm considered an elder.  Shaw and Peter want all the elders to leave to encourage the younger ones to follow.  You're planning on going to New Anada as soon as you can anyway.  If you weren't planning on moving north too, I'd stay."

"What if I can't find you when we get to New Anada?" He asked.

"When I get there I will get a life set up for us.  I guess the New Anada government is going to offer us job training, and homes to get us started.  You and I can live together in a real home and I'll even set up a room for the kids when they can come over," she smiled, "I was even thinking about buying baby stuff after I start getting paid."

Mars smiled at the thought of having a real home with his little family until he realized one person was missing from the pretty little picture, "The babies won't get to stay with us without their mother, Bridget."

"For now," she agreed, "but eventually they can be away from her and you have just as much right to have your kids as she does."

" I was thinking, just for now, that maybe we could all live together.  That way Venus and I wouldn't have to share them."

"I not living with her," Bridget told him mater of factly.  "If you want to live with her then the two of you can start your new and perfect lives together and leave me out of it."

Bridget shoved her things into her pack with an angry and hasty force.  The sound of something snapping could be heard on the inside of the bag, but she didn't seem to care about what she could have broken.

"I don't want to leave you out if it," Mars frowned.

"You can't have the best of both worlds, Mars.  I'm not asking you to pick between me and your children.  I wouldn't want that, and I wouldn't want to put you through that.  But I am asking you to pick between me and her.  you can't have us both just like she can't have you and Peter.  Most of the time I feel like the only reason that you're with me is that she hasn't picked you yet.  And if she ever does choose you, you'll be gone."

"That's not true, Bridge," he assured her.

"I'm with you because I want to be."

"I wish I could believe you."

"I wish there was a way that I could prove it to you."

"There is," she told him, "by moving in with me in New Anada and starting a life with just me, and your kids.  Stop trying to  force Venis on me."

Even though the thought broke his heart he leaned in and kissed her gently before saying, "Okay."

Agreeing to live with just Bridget meant that he wouldn't get to see Pepa and Dex nearly as much as he wanted to.  He wasn't sure how much time he would get with them once they got to New Anada.  They would all have to work and if He and Venus were splitting what little time that they had, after work, between the two of them he assumed there wouldn't be a lot of time left over.  With them being little still and needing their mother it would be even less time with them.

Bridget threw her arms around Mars and kissed him deeply.  When she pulled back a broad smile was on her face, "I can't wait to get there, now!"

"Me too," he lied with a small fake smile, that thankfully Bridget didn't notice.

Across the camp, Venus was quietly helping Peter pack his belongings.  Both were in complete silence as the rolled up his tent.   Pepa and Dex slept soundly in a cot that they set up under the shade of a tree.  Venus slipped the rolled up tent into Peter's pack as she tried to hold back tears.  It felt like he was leaving too soon.  The few days slipped away so quickly and the moving day was finally there.  She wished she could go along but her body was still sore and tired from the birth.  She thought about pushing herself to go along, but deep down she knew she couldn't do it and would be a liability to the whole camp.

"I've got the count of everyone that's staying behind," Layla said as she and Shaw approached.

Peter glance at Venus before standing up to answer, "Are there very many?"

Layla shook her head, "Just a little under a half a dozen, not including myself, or Mars and Venus since they won't be with us long.  It should be really easy to hide such a small group.  Most of them are young with the exception of one tech, Kylee. She offered to stay and keep a small perimeter going for our camp."

"And you're still sure you want to do this?" Peter asked her.

She nodded, "I'm not ready to leave my parents, and I can help others escape to New Anada if I stay behind."

"What about you, Shaw, are you okay with her staying?"

"Does it matter?" he grumbled, "Layla does what she wants.  She's going to stay whether I want her to or not."

"Damn right!" Layla added causing her brother's eyes to roll.

"I appreciate this, Layla," Peter said, "it's brave of you to stay behind and help others find freedom."

"Or stupid," Shaw grumbled.

"Stop being a grumpy overprotective brother.  According to our marvellous government, I'm adult enough to be plucked out of my home and die for this great nation, so I'm adult enough to be able to decide if I want to stay behind and help others," she scolded.

"You're still just a kid," Shaw told her in the deep rumbling voice, "and mom and dad want you to go to New Anada with me."

Layla shot him a glare with her piercing golden coloured eyes.  A gentle breeze blew through her wild curls, making her look like a fierce lioness, but Shaw didn't seem intimidated by his sister and, for the first time Venus ever saw, a small smirk pulled at the corner of Shaw's mouth.    But it appeared and disappeared so quickly that Venus wasn't sure if he actually smiled or not.

"We should be able to leave within an hour," Shaw told Peter.

Venus's eyes grew wide as the reality sat in, "So soon?!"

Shaw glanced in her direction, "The sooner the better."

She knew they had a long journey ahead of them, but she wasn't ready to say goodbye, even if it was just for a week or two.  She was terrified that she would never see Peter or the others again.

Peter nodded, "I just need to finish up here then I'll head the group."

Layla and Shaw nodded before leaving Peter and venus alone to finish packing up.

"I can't believe you're already leaving," Venus stated.

"Just for a little while," Peter told her.

"I'm going to miss you."

Peter pulled her into a tight hug, "I will find you the moment you cross over the boarder...I'll be waiting for you."

Venus tightly squeezed him back, not wanting to let go of him.