P2 XI

Venus eyed him cautiously as he sat in front of her.  The look cut him deep, but he knew he deserved it.  After the way he had been treating her for months, he knew he deserved worse than cold glares she was throwing his way.

"Are you sore?" he asked.

"I'm fine," she stubbornly replied.

Mars rolled his eyes and took her foot in his lap and slipped off her shoe.  Her foot was swollen and he felt bad for her.  He wished there was something he could do for her, but he didn't know what.  He gently started to massage her foot, at first she winced, then sunk into it, enjoying each finger stroke on the sole of her foot.

As he was about to go for the other foot Venus let out a reluctant sigh.

"I should actually get up and walk.  After the long strenuous walk yesterday it put enough of strain on my legs that I could be at risk of blood clots."

Mars knew that wouldn't be good and nodded.  He got up and reached out a hand for her to take, "Let's go then."

She looked at the still sleeping Peter and Briget before asking, "What about them?"

"I'll wake up Bridget," he told her, "it's almost time for her to take over the watch anyway."

Venus took his hand and he helped her up.  As she knocked off the small twigs and needles from her backside, Mars woke up Bridget. He explained to Bridgit that Venus needed to go for a walk and that they would be back soon.

"Maybe we should just wake Peter up and start for the cave," Bridget suggested.

Mars shook his head, "She just needs a light stroll to get the blood moving.  That hike up the hill is going to take a lot out of her."

"Fine, but I don't think it's a good idea for the two of you to be wandering off.  You don't know these woods very well."

"We won't go far," he promised.

Snow started filtering through the trees and it brought a heaviness to the air like they were stuck in a giant dome.   Venus looked up into the cloud-covered sky and let the cold kisses land on her face. Venus loved winter, she liked it a little less than what she used to since she had to spend most of her time in the cold since she left the Cube, but even the cold couldn't tarnish the charm of falling snow.

Mars walked up next to her and took her arm to steady her as they walked along.  

Venus pulled her arm from his, still not ready for the closeness they once had, after the bitterness he had shown the last several months.

"I didn't want you to stumble in the dark," he told her.

"How do I know you won't stumble and pull me down with you?" She pigheadedly replied.

"Because I can see my own feet," he shot back.

"I can see my feet," she mumbled, "...when I sit down."

Mars chuckled but left her alone.  If she stumbled he would do his best to catch her, but he knew there was no pushing Venus into doing anything she didn't want to do.

Winter in the mountains was quiet, and at night it was even more silent.  Most of the birds had migrated south months ago leaving only the sound of the north wind whistling through the trees to carry a tune.  Unlike summer with the cheery song of birds in the hot air, the wind's tune was sad and lonely.  Its voice was harsh with isolation and brought a bitter chill with it.  The snow that had started as a light flurry was now a heavy fall.  Venus's dark hair soon turned white and large flakes stuck to her lashes.

A pile of snow stuck to the top of the sweater she was wearing.  She quickly shook it off and ruffled the snow out of her hair.

"You're getting big," Mars commented.

It wasn't exactly something Venus wanted to hear.  She knew she was getting huge.  Every day she felt bigger, but she was hoping that it was mostly in her head.

"I can't believe I'm going to be a dad by the first of summer," he said, more to himself than to Venus.

"If I make it that long," she said, confessing her fears aloud.

Mars scowled, "Why wouldn't you?"

"This is my fifth pregnancy and they're twins.  With the last set of twins I had the Medics at the cube had me on bed rest for the last trimester and used medication and other tricks to keep me from going into labor early.  I'll be lucky if I make it to early Spring...if this trip doesn't bring them even sooner than that."

"How early would that be?" He asked genuinely concerned for both the babies and Venus.

"Too early," she solemnly replied, "they wouldn't make it."

Venus looked up at him and surprisingly found that he was quite distraught over her concern about the chances of early labor.

"I probably don't have to worry," she quickly added Trying to calm his nerves.  She hadn't expected him to look so worried,  "There isn't any hint of them coming early."

"But it is a concern?"

She nodded, "It's one of the many things flooding my crazy pregnant brain."

A smirk pulled at the corner of his mouth, "You're always crazy, V, being pregnant doesn't change that."

She shot him a glare and gave him a little push.

It felt good to be joking again.  So much time was lost in their little feud.  The walk almost felt like old times again for them both, until they got back to camp.

There they were reminded that it wasn't just them out in the woods.  Bridget was waiting for Mars and Peter were waiting for Venus.  Peter didn't seem annoyed by the little stroll around the trees, but Bridget was.  As soon as Venus and Mars got back she shot Venus dagger flying glares and sharply told them both that, it was time to go.

A/N:

Has Mars redeemed himself some?

Who's excited to have these babies here?!  I keep waiting to get the right feeling about it but the story just doesn't seem right yet, plus it's a little too early.

Confession time...

Up until today, I had no idea what the gender of the babies was but I think I've finally got it.

Am I going to tell you?

No of course not.  Where would the fun in that be?  

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed this chapter as much of the others.

Loves,

Reading_Mermaid08