P2 IV

Venus was sitting alone in her tent.   Something was off but she couldn't tell what.  The sound of a soft cry caught her attention.   She quickly looked down and saw her once protruding belly was back to normal.  Desperately she scanned the tent trying to find out where the cries were coming from.

Just as she was about to get up from her cot Mars entered the tent.

"The babies," Venus said to him, "they need me."

Mars ignored her and walked over to the far side of the tent.  He stooped down and picked up two bundles wrapped in blankets.

Venus's heart swelled with excitement.  She was finally going to meet her children.

She sat on the edge of the cot waiting for Mars to lay them in her arms, but he walked past her. 

Her confused gaze followed him until he reached the tent entrance. 

She jumped up quickly panic racing through her,  "What are you doing?"

But Mars didn't answer he left the tent with Venus on his heels.

"Give me my children," she demanded.

Out the tent was dark but familiar.  A place she hadn't seen in months.   The tall square shaped building looked like a giant white cube in a sea of green.  Her stomach churned and she resisted the urge to throw up.

"Hello, Venus," a cold voice spoke from the shadows sending chills up her spine.

Danielson stepped into the faint light with a slimy smile.

Mars started to walk toward him and  Venus's legs became weak with fear.

"Mars, NO!" She cried out grabbing for his sleeve.  

He pulled from her grasp and walked closer to Danielson.  Venus tried to follow but the hard she tried the heavier her legs became.

"They're mine," she cried as tears streamed down her face, "please, give them to me."

Danielson chuckled in a cold mechanical manner, "Oh, but you're wrong.   They are mine."

Mars laid each baby in Danielson's arms and grabbed hold of Venus so she couldn't get to them.

"Mars help me," she pleaded in desperation, "he's taking our babies."

Mars stood firm staring coldly out into the distance, "I don't want them.   They are tainted."

Venus pulled against his grip but he only held on tighter, "They're not tainted,  Mars, those are our children!"

"They are tainted," he argued,  "tainted with you."

Venus looked at him horrified.   He had handed over his own children to the monster without even a flicker of care.

Danielson drew closer to The Cube and  Venus fought harder.

"Nooo," she desperately cried over and over with Mars echoing in her ear, "tainted."

Danielson was at the door and Venus's anxiety was at its peak.   She knew if she couldn't get to the now they would be lost to her forever.

"Tainted."

The white door slowly cracked open spilling light into the parking lot.

"Tainted."

Danielson looked over his shoulder and gave Venus once last malice filled grin, and then they were gone.

"NO!" Venus screamed out into the night.

Her back was drenched in a cold sweat and she was sobbing uncontrollably.

Cas shot up on bed stunned and confused from the lingering fog of sleep clinging on to her.

"What's wrong?  Are you alright?"

Breathing heavily Venus slipped her hand over her belly to find that she was still, very much so, pregnant.

With a sigh of relief, she answered, "I'm fine.  I was just a bad dream."

"Oh," Cas said with a yawn, "I use to get those all the time when I was pregnant.   Stupid hormones."

By the time Cas uttered the last syllable she was already asleep.

Venus couldn't lay back down.   She was still too jittery from the dream, and her mouth was incredibly dry.

She carefully slipped on an oversized sweater she stole from the clean community laundry. It looked big enough to fit her and her ever-growing midsection and seemed so warm.  Once the sweater was comfortably placed Venus quietly slipped out of the tent.

Her plan was to go to the mess tent for a drink of water.  But she found herself wondering about the camp with her arms tightly hugging her belly.

"V?" Someone hissed in the darkness.

She looked up seeing Peter walking towards her.

"What are you doing up so late?" He asked when he got up to her.

"I was thirsty," she answered.

"Oh," he answered a little surprised  and quickly looked around the camp, "let's get you some water then."

He turned her around and guided her toward the Mess Tent.

Once inside, he got her a cup of water.   As he handed it over to her he noticed her hands were trembling.

He left it alone and watched as the cup shook as she brought it toward her mouth spilling its contents all over her front.

"Here," he offered, taking the cup from her and holding it to her lips.

She gladly drank, and wiped off the remaining dampness from off her face, as she said, "Thank you."

"Would you like some more?" He asked.

She nodded and he quickly refilled the cup.

"Care to tell me what has you so shaken up?" He asked.

"It's nothing."

"Doesn't seem like nothing."

Venus raked her trembling hands through her dark hair.

Peter could tell she didn't want to talk and decided not to push the issue any farther.   If Venus wanted to tell him she would.

He only wrapped a consoling arm around her,  sending her into a fit of tears.

She found solace in  Peter's shoulder dampening it with her tears.

It broke his heart to see her like that and wished she would confide in him.

She shot up and gasped, her tears stopping as she gazed down at her belly.

"What's the matter?" He asked frightened that something was wr6.

With a sniffle, she smiled, "One of the babies kicked."

Peter watched in awe as her belly moved on its own.

"Would you like to feel them?" Venus asked.

Not saying so but slowly nodding his head Venus took his hand and guided about her belly.

It was amazing to think that in her was growing two completely different lives.

"Amazing," was all he could say.