7. Back From the "Dead"

"I'm so special I get a police escort?" I teased as I carried my things. "Wow, Dad is really going through a lot of trouble for me."

"It's for a good occasion." Greg smiled. "It's good to see you again, Rachel."

"Likewise. Um, a little help?"

Being a gentleman, Greg helped me put my things in the back of his car. We both clambered back in, and Greg took off. Even though I barely knew Greg, I felt at ease around him. I think it was because he was part of Scotland Yard, and he was on good terms with my dad.

"So, anything new happen while I've been away?" I asked, keeping my eyes fixed out the window.

"Not really. Nothing major, aside from..."

"Yeah, I know." I looked down at my hands, then out the windshield. "That's the major headline, isn't it? Britain's detective returns. Nobody knows how or why he did it."

"How's your life been since you moved back?"

Someone's eager to change topics. "I've got a question for you first: Did Dad tell you about me or did you figure it out?"

"He told me. It shocked me just as much as it did him when you two found out."

"It's strange, isn't it?" I agreed. "But I'm glad that mystery is put to rest."

"What do you think of Mary?"

"I think she's going to be great for my dad. Really, every time I talk to him, he looks ten times happier than I've ever seen him."

"He told me about his brief stay with you in America."

My face fell a bit. "Yeah. It was a rough time." I cleared my throat.

Greg and I continued to start little conversations in between pockets of silence in the car. I'd made sure to text my dad that I'd found Greg and that we were coming. But wait...where are we going?

"So, did they tell you much about the wedding plans?" Greg asked, going onto another subject.

"No, but I have a feeling they will once we get there. Speaking of which, where are we going?"

Greg didn't answer me right away. This caused me to look at him. He looked hesitant. An alarm rang in my head.

"No." I shook my head vigorously. "You aren't. You're not."

Greg sighed, dipping his head slightly. "It was better if you didn't know."

"Why?"

"Because we knew you'd react like this and not want to come back if you were told."

"Take me somewhere else other than Baker Street. I'm not going there."

"Rachel, everyone is there except for us."

"I'd rather be dropped off at Dad's place and wait for them there."

"I can't do that."

"Why not? Did he order you to not?"

"No, I don't know where they live."

"Oh." I swallowed. "You know, I've been kept in the dark about a few things since I've talked to my dad last. Like this terrorist threat on London, whatever happened to that?"