25. Out with It

Something was ringing. It didn't sound like a phone. It was really faint, like it was in another room.

I poked my head up, yawning hugely. Bayley snuggled into my back, as if that could drown out the noise. I shook my head at him, trying to pry him off me so I could get out of bed. I made sure to check that I had something on before I dragged myself out into the living room.

I found the source of the noise sitting on the coffee table: Bay's laptop. Stretching, I plopped a seat in front of it, realizing that Skype had never been closed. Dad was calling.

My brain was wired; my body was trying to catch up. He was really desperate, calling via Skype. Okay, well, it's not as desperate as calling Bayley or any of my friends or adoptive family.

I'd been avoiding any talk with my dad ever since I got back to Maryland a few weeks ago. He'd been trying to reach out; I barely got back to him. He would sometimes leave worried voicemails after blowing up my phone with constant texts. Those times I'd leave him a short message, telling him everything was fine. Of course, I was a hypocrite when I said I was fine with a snippy tone.

I breathed noisily out of my mouth. Now that I was back in Maryland with some time to adjust, I was able to allow myself to breathe easier. To see the good side in having a half-sibling. For Dad, he would be getting an opportunity that he hadn't been able to have before. While I would be slightly jealous of my half-sibling, I knew they would be in good hands.

I answered the call. I was met with a shaky image until it settled down. Instead of Dad, I saw Mary.

"Rachel," she greeted me with a smile. "Did I wake you? I'm sorry, I did, didn't I? I forget the time difference."

"It happens." I shrugged.

"I'm shocked you answered."

"Why?"

"Well, John has been trying to talk to you, but you won't get back to him."

"I've been busy."

"Rachel."

"I have been."

"I know when people fib."

I rubbed my forehead. "I haven't felt up to talking lately."

"Are you and Bayley having issues?"

"No!" I flailed my arms. Technically, yes, but only I know about it. "Bayley and I are fine."

Mary coughed awkwardly. "I can see that."

I looked down, blushing as I realized I was in lingerie. "I didn't think to change."

"Listen, Rachel, is everything alright? John can't help but wonder if you're mad at him."

"Why would I be?"

"I don't know. You tell me."

"Speaking of him, where is he?"

"In the loo, showering." I made a face, trying not to picture that image. Mary giggled.

"Hey, by any chance, can you tell me when he decided to shave that thing off his face?" I'd never thought about asking that until now.

"Oh, that wasn't long after Sherlock showed up. He'd ruined the proposal." I could totally see that with Sherlock, ruining people's happiness. "He wasn't fond of the moustache either. He basically said what I couldn't."

"I knew you hated it! Dad wouldn't believe me! So just because Sherlock said something, he shaved it off?"

"It looked that way."

"I tell him, he won't do it. When Sherlock says one word about it, he goes and takes it off." My jaw locked. "I feel like Dad holds his opinions over ours, Mary, and I'm his daughter and you're his wife. How'd the honeymoon go, anyway?"

"Oh, it was just a honeymoon. Nothing special, really." She shrugged.

"Really?" I questioned. "Nothing...unexpected happened?"

"Um, no."

"Mary?" Dad's voice called on the other end. "Are you talking to Rachel?"

"What do you mean 'no'?" I kept going.

"Was something supposed to happen that you knew about?" Mary quizzed me right back.

I heard Bayley come out of the bedroom. He threw his arms around me from over the couch. "Morning, Mrs. Watson."

"Hello, Bayley," Mary greeted him sweetly. "Seriously, Rachel, why do you sound suspicious?"

"No reason," I said simply.

"Fibbing again."

"I can't win with you."

"Rachel, what's been going on?" Dad now came into the picture. "You haven't been answering me. What's happened?"

"I don't know, Dad. You tell me." I scowled.

"What are you going on about?"

"When were you going to tell me?"

"T-tell you what?" Mary piped.

"I know you're expecting."

Dad's eyes widened, Mary looked speechless.

"H—how did you find out?" Mary finally asked.

"Sherlock." Dad said the name before I could. "He told you, didn't he?"

I nodded slowly. "Were you going to tell me before the baby was born?"

"Of course we would have!" Mary blurted. "We just didn't know the right time to tell you."

"We were afraid of how you'd take it," Dad said firmly.

So they were just as afraid of the impending confrontation as I was. And they both still look afraid of what may happen. "Do you want me to be honest with you?"

"Please do."

"When Sherlock told me...it floored me. First instinct was to feel upset, I don't know why, but I was. Maybe it was because you finally had something that you never had before and I wasn't part of it, not in the capacity I had hoped to be. I grappled a lot with my frustration. It all seemed wrong to me, that it wasn't my mother you married. It felt like you were having another family without me. I had the thought of once my sibling was born, you'd focus all your attention on them. That I would be overshadowed by the new family you had."

"Rach," Bay tried to intervene.

"No, I've got this. I've had a lot of time to stew on it. Truthfully, I was afraid I'd never work myself through to a more positive outlook on this."

"Rachel," Mary cut me off.

"She's not done, Mary," said Dad.

I cleared my throat. "What I'm trying to say is...it's going to be different. And strange. But you two will be the best parents. Dad has an opportunity that he didn't have before, and he won't be alone. I'm happy for you both. I only ask that I get constant cute pictures since I won't be able to visit all the time."

The relief on their faces spoke volumes. Thank goodness the anger had risen its ugly head, it would've been the worst of times. While it would flare at what-could-have been had my mother been alive, it got quieted when I focused on all the good a baby would bring.

For the first time ever, I'd be a big sister. The age gap would be monstrous. I only hoped that if I ever saw my sibling that nobody would mistake me for their mother, and Dad and Mary as their grandparents.