42. In the Shark Tank

I couldn't help but wring my hands together during the helicopter ride to Appledore. Just what did Sherlock talk with Magnussen about that required Mycroft's laptop? Did he even know what he was doing? He has to; otherwise he wouldn't be doing this.

I'd put trust into Sherlock before, but this was questionable.

Appledore was stunning. It looked like a place a celebrity would own. I couldn't imagine how much money it took to build just the structure. The inside I really wanted to see.

Once the helicopter landed, one of Magnussen's securities came to intercept us. We all clambered out, heading for Appledore while the helicopter took off once again. Now how will we get away from here once this is said and done? I had no doubt we were going to come out of this visit alive; Magnussen didn't seem like the violent type. That's what made him slightly better than Moriarty. But no matter what, he was still vile.

The security man led our trio towards Appledore while another one picked up the rear. I was trying to guess how many rooms the place had once we got inside. It also made me wonder if Magnussen had cameras hidden in every room of his place.

The guard led us through an area with very exotic-looking plant life, giving off a jungle vibe.

If I had any qualms about coming to Appledore, I left them outside. I brought myself into this, insisting that I wanted to be here. I wasn't about ready to turn around and chicken out. I couldn't between Magnussen's security and the fact I had no way to get away from Appledore. I wouldn't get very far running or walking.

Another few minutes later, we were met with the sight of Charles Magnussen lounged comfortably in an expensive-looking couch, holding a glass. I kept the farthest from Magnussen, close to my dad. Once the presence of Magnussen's men disappeared, I felt slightly better.

"I would offer you a drink," he said softly, "but it's very rare and expensive."

Must be just like everything else in this house. I looked around, seeing how plain the interior was. But it had a rich quality to it.

I scooted closer to Dad as Sherlock took a seat a few feet from Magnussen on the couch as the shark took a drink from his glass. Sherlock put the laptop between himself and Magnussen before crossing his legs and putting his hands together in his lap.

"Oh," Sherlock said calmly. "It was you."

Dad and I turned to see a video projected across the room on the wall opposite where the two were sitting.

"Yes, of course," Magnussen replied. "Very hard to find a pressure point on you, Mr. Holmes." Dad and I crept to the footage. "The drugs thing I never believed for a moment. Anyway, you wouldn't care if it was exposed, would you?"

It took me a few minutes before I realized what I was watching.

When Sherlock had come back from the dead, the day after the media broke the news, I'd talked to Dad, and Sherlock had told me that Dad had been abducted and thrown into a bonfire. What I was witnessing now was the rescue mission, seeing Sherlock sprint for the burning pile, tearing it apart only to pull Dad out. Mary was towards the background, screaming Dad's name and watching in horror.

I breathed through my nostrils evenly. My hands went into fists. Magnussen was the one responsible for nearly cooking my dad. I shook slightly, infuriated.

"But look how you care about John Watson," Magnussen continued. Dad and I could only stare at the looped video, seeing the same thing over and over again. "Your damsel in distress."