40. Too Soon

It was weird to think that it was already Thanksgiving. Time was flying by when life wasn't chaotic. You'd think it'd be the total opposite since life would be calm.

For once, I was spending some much needed quality time with my adoptive family. It wasn't just us three, though. Max and Darien were going to try and join us later on, as they had to make stops at their families' places first. Amanda would have come, but she was meeting Taylor's family today. She seemed pretty serious about this relationship, much more than when she had dated Alex, and he was a while ago.

I'd extended the invitation to Kendal and Madison. Kendal said she'd make it over later, as she was spending time with her family. Madison wanted to come, but with so many places she was going, she highly doubted she would be able to stop by. I guess her relationship with Gabriella was still very serious. I'd teased if this meant wedding bells in the future for them both.

I'd left a little bit of a surprise out for my adoptive parents. They'd been kept in the dark about most of my life, but today was the day where they were going to get caught up. I could tell them about what was going on with other people in my life; I just couldn't give them every detail about my life. If I didn't tell them squat about Moriarty, I wasn't going to mention anything about Bayley to them, though I was sure his name was bound to come up at some point once they realized he wasn't coming.

My adoptive parents were floored when they saw who I brought along for dinner. Mom was eager to welcome and usher Derek in while Dad looked him over, inspecting him. It was weird how I had two dads, my adoptive and biological.

Speaking of my biological dad, I hadn't talked to him lately. I didn't know what was going on with his life currently, just like he didn't know what was going on in mine. I hoped his life was on the mend like mine was.

With the TV playing a football game in the background, Mom and I got the table set and ready. Derek was with my dad, left alone to face his gaze.

"I see you've moved on," Mom noted quietly. "Things didn't work out with Bayley?"

My heart thumped in my chest painfully. "No."

"It's a shame. I liked him, Rachel. He was a keeper."

"Derek is too, you know. Give him a chance."

"Oh, I am, sweetheart." She squeezed my shoulder. "It'll take some time getting used to him is all. Boys, dinner is ready!"

The TV wasn't shut off, as Dad and Derek wanted to listen to the game. I watched football if there was absolutely nothing better to watch. I understood it sometimes, but I never favored any team. It seemed like every time I watched it, new rules were put into effect with the penalties.

With the TV as background noise, we ate. Dad and Derek mainly talked while Mom and I ate quietly. As I stole glances at Derek, I couldn't help but see some similarities with him and Moriarty, mainly the hair and the eyes. This had been happening for a while, ever since I started going out with him back in September. I would start to see things in him that I had seen in Moriarty or Bayley, the two lying men I'd fallen in love with.

I partially blamed Derek for bringing back my nightmares too. Every once in a while my mind would bring back that night at the pool. Each time, somehow, I could find Bayley in his cover; see the nerves in his eyes. I could hear him yell "No!" right after he took the shot and hit me in the shoulder. After that, I could always hear Moriarty's maniacal laughter. Other nightmares consisted of them both working against me. It often involved Bayley kidnapping me or they were both in the same room, with Bayley restraining me while Moriarty taunted me.