28. Stoner Palace

Dad never questioned why I wanted his address when I landed in London.

Not heading for Baker Street was foreign to me. I guess I still hadn't adjusted to not seeing Dad in 221B. But I guess that's not true, considering a little over a month ago I'd gotten used to it quite quickly. I shoved that time frame from my head.

The cab got me pretty close to my destination. I paid her like the good person I was and hauled out all of my things. It didn't take me long to find Dad and Mary, I could see them up ahead. Dad looked to be dressed, Mary was still in pajamas. Are they arguing? They were talking, that was for sure.

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I walked towards the couple.

"Seriously?" Mary asked.

Dad spun around to her. "Why not? She's not going to the police. Someone's got to get him."

"Why you?" Mary stopped at a gate, Dad kept on moving.

"I'm being neighborly."

"Since when?"

Dad let out a laugh. "Since now. Since this exact minute."

"Why are you being so...?" Mary gestured wildly with her hands.

I hadn't realized they'd invested in a car until I saw Dad round to the driver's side door.

"What?"

"I dunno. What's the matter with you?"

"There is nothing the matter with me." I flinched as I picked up on Dad's tone. "Imagine I said that without shouting." He said that in a lower, calmer tone.

"I'm trying." Mary finally noticed me. "Oh, Rachel, you're here."

I threw a weak smile. "I'm guessing this is a bad time?"

"It isn't," Dad told me. "I was hoping you were coming a bit later."

"Why?"

"My friend's son has gone missing. Your father is apparently going to go find him," Mary murmured.

I tossed a strange look at my dad. "You're finding lost children now?"

"Mary, help Rachel put her things in the house. Stay with her," Dad commanded.

"Whoa, hey, you're going all by yourself? Just what kid are we dealing with?"

"He's into drugs," Mary explained.

"Oh yeah, you're not going by yourself."

"I can handle myself, Rachel," Dad insisted. "You know that as well as Mary."

"Still, you don't know what people do when they're on drugs. I'm going to go put these away, and then Mary and I are going with you."

Mary and I passed each other as she hustled towards the car whilst I made a beeline through the gate and to the house. I quickly dropped my things in, racing to the car as Mary was already in the passenger seat. I hopped in the back. Dad merely shook his head before starting the car.

Awkward silence fell in the car for almost fifteen minutes. During that time, I chewed on my nails and wondered where we were headed.

"We've got to say, Rachel, this is a bit unexpected," Mary said. "John had told me you asked for our address. What's the reason for coming back so soon?"