14. The Connection

Unbelievable.

Here I was, on my way to fetch Dad and Sherlock thanks to their stag night. Unbelievable. And people wondered why they ended up in trouble after a night of drinking.

Greg woke me up this morning, telling me the lovely news. I'd told him I'd be right there, so I quickly got dressed and caught a cab.

I looked out the window out of boredom, pondering what I was going to say to those two when I saw them. I'd especially take it out on Sherlock, since it was his bright idea. I kind of blamed myself, though, at the same time. I hadn't gone with them despite every bone in my body telling me to.

Maybe I could have prevented them from being locked up.

"Keep it running, this won't take long," I told the driver. I got out, waiting by the idle car. I didn't have to wait long, as by the time five minutes came around, Dad and Sherlock came stumbling out. I shook my head at them both. Dad caught sight of me first.

"Had a fun time, did you?" I snapped. I pulled the door open. "Both of you in, now." There were no complaints, though Sherlock attempted to fight me.

I sat between the boys as I told the driver the address. I texted Greg to tell him thanks for keeping them from doing more. He told me he'd had a little fun with them once they both finally woke up. I could only imagine how much fun I'd have once we got back to Baker Street. I can always start now.

"So, what happened that got you two locked up?" I murmured.

"Rachel, I really don't want to talk about it," Dad muttered, rubbing his forehead.

"I should have gone with you both, but no, you two thought you could handle yourselves." I snorted.

"Can you stop talking?" Sherlock groaned.

"No, I can't. You both deserve it."

"It was just a night out to have fun," Dad protested, resting his head against the car.

"And look how it turned out." I grimaced. "I bet this is the reason why you two never drink. Can't hold much either, from what Greg told me."

"If you don't shut up, I'll make you," Sherlock threatened.

I rolled my eyes.

I shoved Sherlock out of the cab first once we got to 221B. I thanked the driver before they sped off. I made sure the boys ushered themselves in. Dad went to visit Mrs. Hudson while Sherlock and I went up to our apartment.

Once inside, he seemed to be getting back to normal, getting himself something to eat. I remained in the kitchen while he went to do what he did best.

"So, did you find the mysterious ghost?" I called from the kitchen.

"Let's not bother about last night," he retorted.

"Why not? All I know is that you two ended up in Greg's care." I peeked through the fridge, finding it almost skeletal. "We've got to go out again."

"You do. I have more important things to do."

I sighed. "Leave a woman to get the groceries. Why don't you try that sometime?"

I wasn't answered. Shrugging, I went digging for breakfast. I stole a bagel and some butter. Yeah, we really needed to restock. I was debating to drop by Mrs. Hudson's, knowing she'd feed me if I asked. But she already had Dad there with her, so maybe she had enough mouths to feed.