24. Wounded

The first thing I wanted to do when I got back to Baker Street was find some medicine so I could cure this raging headache. This was what I got for thinking too much.

As the cab took me back to 221B, I had to figure out what my next move was. How was I going to end this when I moved back? How soon would I have to? I definitely wanted to leave before people started asking questions and saw flaws through the "case" I was helping Sherlock on.

Evening was approaching by the time the cab pulled up along the sidewalk. I thanked the driver, paid them, and then got out. Feeling a little drained, I made my way in. I was about ready to head up the stairs, but voices caught my attention. Sherlock had a visitor. My brows came together. It wasn't male, so Mycroft wasn't making another visit, and Dad wasn't back from his honeymoon with Mary.

It didn't sound like Mrs. Hudson, either.

Maybe it's a client, a new case. An actual case. Not really worried, I made my way up. The door was wide open, and the first thing I noticed was that this picture was very wrong.

Sherlock was talking with a woman all right—a woman who, I might add, was on his lap, while he was sitting in his chair. Flags went up in my brain.

They seemed to be talking in low whispers, keeping a hold of each other's gazes. My stomach knotted. When Sherlock noticed me, the woman turned her head. My stomach dropped into my feet.

It was Janine.

"Oh, hello again, Rachel," Janine piped merrily. All I could manage was a wave, no words. "I didn't know you were still hanging around."

"Sherlock didn't tell you?" I found my voice.

"He forgot to mention it." Silence fell quickly. Janine looked down at an imaginary watch on her arm. "Oh, I better be going. Have to work in the morning and all."

"Are you sure? Don't let Rachel scare you off," Sherlock insisted as Janine sprung to her feet. "She won't bite."

"No, really, I've got to go. I'll talk to you later, Sherl."

Sherl?

Before Janine left, she kissed Sherlock. Not on the cheek in a friendly gesture. On the mouth, as though...as though...

The move hit me like a battering ram to the chest. I quickly pulled together a poker face so nobody saw what I was feeling right now: Hurt. Betrayal. Shock.

Janine gave me a parting wave and smile as she squeezed by me. I threw a smoldering look at Sherlock, who stared at me with a neutral expression.

I waited until I heard the door close before I started talking.

"Turns out you weren't lazy after all," I noted, seeing Sherlock dressed.

"Rachel—"

"Is she why you've disappeared lately?" I moved more into the apartment. "Did you invite her over the moment I was gone?"

"No. And where were you?"

"That's none of your business," I snapped. "I had to air out, and I actually did, unlike you." I scowled.

"You weren't supposed to find out like this."

"I gathered that much. And you told Janine nothing about me staying here?" I shook my head. "You are in some deep shit, Sherlock."

"Someone's livid."

"You think?" My voice raised a few octaves. "I go away to air out and this is what I come back to? Just how long did you expect to hide this from me?"