11. The Best Man

The ceremony was short and sweet. While it went on, I couldn't help but notice the maid of honor, Janine, keeping her eyes on the groomsmen, one in particular. Something erupted inside me; it was hard to pick out what it was.

Once Mary Morstan became Mary Watson, we took pictures outside of the church. Those I was more than willing to see how they turned out. The setting was beautiful, and people seemed to really be into it. While pictures finished up, I saw Janine hovering around Sherlock, talking to him. What they were discussing, I couldn't hear. Again, a small pang of something exploded in my chest.

Once pictures were done, we all proceeded to head to the venue where the reception was going to be held. As the newlyweds received congratulations from everyone, I wiggled my way through the line to seek out Bayley. I'd managed to find a few that had visited Baker Street, in particular a man named David, who'd once dated Mary and hadn't gotten over her. I remembered it all too well, considering Sherlock practically put a restraining order on David for Mary. I also remembered that day well because it had been the day Sherlock had produced the creepiest smile the world had ever seen.

Another visitor to Baker Street had been a young boy, Archie, the ring bearer. That instance had turned weird as well. The boy, naturally, wasn't fond of the idea of wearing the outfit he had today. Sherlock had appealed to the boy by showing him pictures of corpses. It disturbed me and made me fear for that boy's future.

Familiar arms around me snapped me out of my reminiscing. Bayley found me before I could continue my search for him, grabbing me from behind. I turned around only to see an almost entirely different man in front of me.

He looked really handsome; the small amounts of facial hair enhanced his attractiveness. I kissed him sweetly; thankful to be in his arms again. He held me tight, like he had no intention of letting me go.

"You look beautiful," he crooned, showing me a crooked grin. I went rose-red. "So it's official now, huh? You've got yourself a stepmother."

"At least she isn't evil." I turned my attention to the happy couple, accompanied by Sherlock. I had to laugh. He stood next to Dad like an obedient dog.

"Neither of you look torn up, so I'm assuming no wars broke out," Bay said.

"There were a few things here and there." I turned back to Bayley, who still seemed to be locked on the sight behind me. "Hey." His ocean eyes met my green ones. "Relax, honey. I'm yours." I pressed myself closer to him, gently combing through his hair with my fingers. "I would never chase after someone else, because they'll never be you."

Bay kissed me again, this time for longer. None of the wedding attendants paid us any mind; they were too busy on congratulating my dad and stepmother. Wow, it was weird to associate that term with Mary. When I heard "stepmother" I thought of Cinderella. Mary was nothing like that evil bitch in the movie.

Slowly, the crowd filed in the venue, which was bombarded with tables and food. Unfortunately, I was going to be away from Bayley, at the wedding party's table. But, luckily for him, he'd be with Mrs. Hudson, Greg, Molly, and Tom. I made sure to introduce Bay to all the familiar faces.

"John never told me you had someone!" Mrs. Hudson squealed. Bay had his fingers looped through mine.

"I guess he was busy with everything else." I shrugged.

"Well, you two look very happy. When am I going to attend your wedding?"

Bay and I looked at each other, laughing nervously. The thought had crossed our minds, sure, but it was still too soon.