17. Homeward Bound

It was weird to believe it. I was married now. Figuring out my name was going to be a pain in the ass. How would I write it? Rachel Simpson-Watson-Redding? Rachel Watson-Redding? Rachel Simpson-Redding?

For now, unless it was changed, it would remain Rachel Redding.

We'd gotten through our first dance together as husband and wife, and now the reception was moving smoothly. I was receiving congratulations from all sides. Our guests consisted of those who knew the truth about my dad. My secret was safe within these walls.

I kept close to Bayley, wanting a sense of security from him. I shouldn't have needed to worry, considering whom I'd seen had merely been a trick of the eye. Still, he'd looked so real, how he'd blended in with the guests. How he'd caught my eye. How he'd smirked at me, his face saying, I'm back to deal with you.

Thankfully, nobody had noticed that brief sighting, not even Bayley or Dad. I scanned the array of guests we had. All seemed to be enjoying themselves, talking with others at their tables or swaying gently to the music. I fiddled with one of the lace sleeves of my dress, feeling a bit anxious. What if the sight wasn't a onetime deal? What if I saw him on our honeymoon?

What if he was everywhere I looked?

"I'm glad you decided to not go extreme with everything," Bay told me.

I smiled up at him. "I'm not one for dramatics. This occasion is simple and sweet, not to mention trouble-free."

"Don't jinx it."

"How can I? Nobody's here to murder anyone. Sherlock isn't around, so nothing is going to happen." Sherlock decided to remain in London, but Dad and Mary passed on his congratulations. It was hard to tell with him whether or not it was genuine.

Suddenly, the lights shut off. People gasped and screamed. Bayley tightened his grip on me. A tremor rippled up my spine. Why did this feel like it was supposed to happen?

"Something probably short-circuited," Bay mused. "The power will be up in no time, I'm sure."

"Bay."

"What?"

"We need to get out of here."

"Why?"

"Just trust me." Blindly, I snatched his hand. Fumbling in the darkness, I led him out of our venue, into the night. Confused and terrified murmurs of the guests traveled outside.

"Rachel, what's wrong?"

"I should have told you, Bay. I saw him." I whirled around to stare at my husband. "At our wedding, while the priest was talking. He was towards the back."

"Rachel, he's dead."

"But what if he isn't, Bay? He was extremely smart. If Sherlock could fake his death, who's to say he couldn't, too?" I blanched. How could Moriarty manage to pull that stunt off if I had seen his body on the rooftop after Sherlock had fallen?

"If he did fake his death, if he's in there..." Bayley's blue eyes widened. "He'll start killing people."

I shook my head. "He won't do anything, his minions will. He never gets his hands dirty." He'd almost made me an exception.