16. The Sign of Four

Things got settled down after Major Sholto was tended to and patched up.

Before long, evening fell. The tables were cleared away so that the floor could be open for some dancing. I found my dad and Mary, but Sherlock seemed to be missing. I didn't know why I was searching for him; there wasn't reason to worry about him. Nobody was after him.

Ever since the incident, Bay kept me by his side for the majority of the night. Mary got to officially meet him; they hit it off pretty good. Bayley also got to meet my dad for the first time in person too.

"He's not as intimidating as I expected," he told me. "I think it's the height."

"Oh, you still don't want to mess with him. He's seen a lot of bad things and probably knows ways to injure or kill people. I wouldn't risk getting on his bad side." I couldn't keep my eyes from roaming.

"Are you looking for someone?"

"Maybe. I don't know."

Bay kept an arm around me. "Do you want to get your things after we leave or do you want to wait until tomorrow?"

"I think it'll depend. I'll let you know."

"But no matter what, you're coming back to the hotel room with me."

I pecked his cheek. "Oh, I know. That's not changing."

"Rachel, just tell me who you're looking for."

"Sherlock's still missing."

"I'm sure he hasn't run off anywhere."

"Still..."

Bay sighed. "I won't go anywhere."

I looked up at him. "Promise?"

"Promise." With a gentle shove, Bayley initiated my search for Sherlock.

Once I did a brief sweep of our room, I decided to investigate other areas. It hadn't taken me long before I found him. Surprise, surprise, Janine was with him. I'd just caught Sherlock in the tail end of a spin. I shook my head. Showoff. I bet Janine loved this. It was obvious she liked him.

"Showing off?" I teased as I butted in on their conversation. "Don't think I didn't see that."

"At least Janine thinks I'm a good teacher."

I rolled my eyes. "I still can't see you teaching other people."

"Well, glad to see you've pulled, Sherlock, what with the murderers running riot at my wedding." Dad was at Sherlock's side, clapping a hand on his back.

"One murder...one nearly murder. Loves to exaggerate. You should try living with him." Sherlock directed that to Janine.

An entrance door opened, and Greg came in. "Sherlock? Got him for you."

"Ah, the photographer. Excellent!" Sherlock put his hands together. "Thank you." He went to the photographer, pointing at his camera. "Er, may I have a look at your camera?"

The photographer looked hesitant, but gave in. He held it out for Sherlock. "What's this about? I was halfway home!"

Sherlock took the camera. "You should have driven faster." He was looking at the camera's screen on its back. "Ah, yes. Yes, very good. There, you see?" He smiled. "Perfect."