20. Nobody's Perfect

Nobody could have predicted this. Hell, I bet even Sherlock couldn't have seen this coming.

Whatever this was, it was different. The air in 221B was much lighter. There was a sense of harmony. It was like the tension had never existed between Sherlock and me.

But let me tell you, this was something to adjust to. This was the side of the consulting detective no one had ever seen before. I felt pretty special considering I was the only one to see this new, unexpected side to him. Sherlock left from time to time but always came back. He was new to this whole thing, so I kind of had to help him through it.

This was a new thing for me too, as I'd never done something like this before in my life. I never thought I'd cross into this territory.

Keeping the secret was almost too easy over the phone. Bayley kept in touch. I'd feel good talking to him, but afterwards a heavy guilt would settle in the pit of my stomach. I was amazed at how I didn't feel the urge to confess right then and there about the affair. Sherlock would always be there to make me forget my guilt. It was a roller coaster of emotions.

Despite my curiosity about Irene Alder and Charles Augustus Magnussen, I never questioned Sherlock about either of them. I was sure I could have had I decided to get crafty about it. But just because we were together didn't mean everything changed. Some things had to remain the same.

I took advantage of Sherlock sleeping in to call Amanda. She wasn't too happy about the rude awakening, but she got over that quickly.

"Have you been so busy that you forget to talk to me?" I asked her, standing in front of one of the windows in the apartment. I watched the busy streets and sidewalks. "I mean, we barely talked when we went out clubbing."

"I've been going through a lot lately, Rach. Between college and guys...it's all jumbled up."

"Are you failing classes?"

"No, but I'm struggling in a few." She groaned. "I need to invest in a tutor."

"Ask around, I'm sure you can find help somewhere. Are guys distracting you?"

"A little. This is worse than high school."

"Isn't it supposed to be?" I laughed.

"So word is that you're still in London. Sherlock pulled you into a case?"

"Yeah," I sighed.

"I think he's trying to turn you into your dad."

I made a face. "Let's hope not."

"And Bayley is okay with this?"

"No." I shook my head, shifted my weight. "He used to be jealous of Sherlock when I stayed here before the wedding."

This got Mandy laughing. "That's ridiculous!"

"Tell me about it." I wouldn't blame Bay if he was jealous of Sherlock now, because he had good reason to be. "Have you been talking to the others?"

"Not really. I've been trying to bust my ass to get good grades."

"Well, find a tutor, and try to balance work and sleep. Exhaustion doesn't help."

"I know. I'm considering dropping out. College life might not be my thing."

"Aw, come on, Mandy. Try and hang in there. Aren't you done for the year anyway?"