Chapter 21: Forever

(Y/n) sat in a hospital bed as bandages covered her entire body. Her blank eyes staring at nothing.

"Come on. I know you can do it! When you think about those you love, no force in the world can stop you."

"Haha, one day your training will pay off! Your father and your brother will be so proud of you..."

"No matter how many times you fall down. Everybody will be here to help you right back up... You just have to be willing to take their hand..."

"It's all my fault... I could have helped him..." Tears fell from her eyes as she gripped the sheets. Her long (h/c) covered her face as a small breeze blew through the window. A small leaf gracefully twisted and twirled in the air, landing on the girl's lap. She was about to reach for it until the breeze blew it away. It delicately swayed in the air before it landed on the bedside table, above her headband. She picked up the headband as the metal plate grazed the wooden surface. She held it in her hands, her gaze staring down at the metal. A large and deep scratch stretched across the plate, over the hidden leaf symbol. "(Y/n)..." her head jerked up to see her best friend at the door, Hinata. "It's time..." she walked towards the girl, pushing a wheelchair next to her bed. "He's really dead...?" the Hatake said in a low voice as Hinata helped her onto the wheelchair. "I can't believe it either..." she said in melancholy. The two girls made their way out of the hospital in silence. The entire village was dressed in black clothing. All their faces showed the exact same thing. They were all mourning. Many people were heading the same way as the two girls, all walking to the cemetery. Both (Y/n) and Hinata stopped in front of the cemetery, hesitating to take a step further. "Come on, Hina... Staying here won't change anything..." the Hatake spoke in a low voice. "I know... It's just... I don't think I can go..." the Hyuuga hesitantly mumbled. "Hina... I know it's hard... It's hard for all of us... But he would want us to smile... Even if it's on a day like this..." she turned around to look at her best friend. Even though a mask covered it, Hinata knew there was a warm smile on her face. She gave a small nod as she returned the smile, pushing the wheelchair onto the grass of the cemetery. They made their way through the crowd of grieving villagers as they moved to the side, all looking at her as they walked. "...They're all looking at me..." (Y/n) mumbled as she gripped her sleeve. "I'm sure they aren't," Hinata said in a low and comforting voice. "Of course they are... I was the last person they saw leave Lord Hokage's side before Orochimaru attacked... I don't doubt they blame me... I know they do..." the Hatake looked down at her lap. "Hell... I blame myself for it...." a small chuckle escaped her lips. Hinata looked down in worry as she hesitantly reached out for her. "Hinata!" a feminine voice called out. Hinata turned around to see Kurenai waving at her, signaling for her to come closer. "I-I'll be right back!" the dark blue-haired girl hesitantly walked away from the girl, turning around to look at her with worried eyes.

 "(Y-y/n)!" a different voice called out. The girl looked up to see Naruto running at her with Sasuke and Sakura walking behind him. "Y-you look so hurt!" he placed both hands on her shoulders as he shook her around, making her flinch at the pain. "Idiot! If you see she's hurt don't shake her around like that!" Sakura punched the blonde in the arm. "S-Sorry..." he sulked. (Y/n) just looked away from the three, not wanting to look at anybody. "Hey," a voice rang. She saw Sasuke walk up to her side. "Not now Uchiha..." the Hatake looked away. Sasuke only walked in front of her and held up her chin, forcing her to look directly at him. "I don't know why you blame yourself for his death or why you ever considered the idea that any of this was your fault but I just want you to know one thing... No matter what your reasons are, just know that it wasn't anybody's fault for his death... And it especially wasn't yours. You know he would tell you that if he could," he spoke to her. (Y/n)'s eyes widened at his words. "Now..." she watched as Sasuke reached to her hand which had been holding her headband. The girl hesitantly pulled her hand back before Sasuke could grab it. "What's wrong...?" his lips curved into a small frown as he grabbed the blue headband. His eyes widened slightly as he looked at the plate making (Y/n) look down in shame. A small sigh left his lips. "There's nothing wrong with it... It's just a scratch..." the Uchiha took it out of her hands, quickly tying her headband loosely around her neck just like Hinata. "Now, here..." her grabbed two white flowers from a large bouquet. He gently placed one in her long (h/c) hair and then placed one in her hand. "Hey... the (h/c) dye in your hair is starting to fade... You can almost see your red hair again," he commented as he held a lock of her hair between his fingers. The Hatake's hand quickly grabbed his hand, pulling it closer so she could see her hair. "You're right..." she squinted her eyes. "I should ask Papa if he could buy me more dye..." she mumbled to herself. "D-Don't!" Sasuke blurted out. "Your red hair reminds me of a tomato," he chuckled as his cheeks were dusted with a light pink. "You Uchihas...." she grumbled as she snatched her hair out of his hand. "(Y/n)!!" The two genin turned their head to see Naruto running towards the girl, and angry pinkette darting behind him. "WHO ARE YOU CALLING FLAT?!?" her voice roared as the blonde ran for his life. "Save me!!" the knucklehead cried as he ducked behind her wheelchair. A small sigh left the girl's lips as she looked at the approaching beast. She slowly closed her eyes as a shadow loomed over them. Quickly, her eyes darted open as a bright read beamed brightly. Her smile distorting, almost growing sharp teeth. "Sakura-chan... If you want to play... Play with me... I like a good game~!" her voice became deep, almost imitating Kurama's. The Haruno just stared in fear as her knees threatened to buckle underneath her. "Alright, alright that's enough..." a hand grabbed her shoulder. The Hatake quickly closed her eyes and shook it off, soon looking to the side seeing her father. "You might be great for interrogation with Inoichi... You'll scared them half to death before they can even use any techniques with the prisoners..." Kakashi mumbled. "Nahhh, Sakura just isn't strong enough to handle how much better I am than her," she gave him a smug smile. "Teach me that trick!!" Naruto jumped at her. (Y/n) was about to agree until she felt eyes digging into her skull. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see her father staring at her with one eyebrow raised, giving her a fair warning. The only thing she did was lean over to Naruto and whispered, "Later... Papa might kill me for this though..." Naruto nodded in understanding as a cold bead of sweat traveled down his cheek.