Chapter 29: When We Meet Again

(Y/n) sat up high on a tree branch. Her eyes scanning around as she served as a lookout.

Their mission had been a success. The leader and his men were dead. All they needed to do was return home.

"Hatake, switch out." The girl looked down to see one of her team members standing at the base of the tree. She jumped tiredly down and began walking to the campsite.

"Hatake, mind helping me out here?" Another team member said as he gestured at the poor attempt at a campfire. (Y/n) sighed as she began to pick up twigs and dried grass. She placed her gatherings inside the small pit her teammate had made.

'Fire Release: Dragon's Breath'

The girl gently blew on the twigs and grass as the fire began to grow, giving off a warm orange light. "Alright. Everybody get some sleep. Tomorrow we leave at dawn. Hatake, once Yamanaka finishes her shift you'll cover the ne-" -Thump!- The leader said before he was cut off by the loud noise of something hitting the ground. The three jounin darted their heads towards the lookout tree only to see the fourth teammate down on the floor.

"Y-Yamanaka!" (Y/n) ran up to the woman, kneeling next to her. She placed her ear on her chest, clearly hearing her heartbeat. "She's not hurt! Just knocked... out cold..." the girl trailed off as she turned around, seeing the rest of her team passed out as well. She swiftly grabbed a kunai, getting into a defensive position waiting for the attacker to make their move.

(Y/n) began to back up, looking in every direction for any sign of the enemy. Her eyes widened when she felt a hand cover her mouth and another knocking the blade out of her hand.

"Shhhh... Don't scream or you'll wake them up..."

.

.

.

.

.

_____

Tsunade sat in her office. She ran her fingers through her hair as she stared down at the message that rested on her desk. "Tsunade-sama! A messenger from Sunagakure came with an important letter about...." Shizune said as she walked into the room but soon trailed off, noticing Tsunade's distressed state. "T-Tsunade-sama... What's wrong?" the brunette began to approach her. "Shizune. Get Ibiki, Anko, and Shikaku in my office, now!" The attendant jumped back, scared of her sudden outburst. "Y-Yes, Tsunade-sama!" Shizune said frantically, running out of the room in fear.

The Hokage began to pace around her office as she kept reading the message over and over. 

"What the hell is she thinking?!" Tsunade punched her desk out of frustration and anger, breaking it straight through the middle.

"I-I brought them, Tsunade-sama!" Shizune quickly walked into the room with three people following behind. They were all taken by surprise when they saw the broken desk as Tsunade looked out the window, trying to calm herself down. "What's this?..." Anko picked up the letter from the floor. "Shizune, read it to them," the blonde ordered. Not wanting to question the older lady's judgment, Shizune took the paper and began reading aloud.

_____

"Geez, 'tachi! You scared me!" the girl hissed in a low voice. "Sorry. It was the only way without them attacking all at once..." he apologized with a slight smile.