The Selection

Authors POV

"Abba why have you called us? Anything important?" Azad said standing beside Nawfal.

"Yes. It is very important. As you both know that, now we have to select our new commander, i would like both of you to cooperate and pick the best commander in the troupe" Raja commenced.

"Sure, we will do it" Nawfal agreed.

"Can i be the commander instead?" Azad voiced out and Raja quirked his brow.

"I do hope you both know that i have a strong knit with our knights and most of the things are planned and arranged by me. Mumbad didnt even do his job. He was just-" he stopped, knowing that it was the limit.

"If thats the case, who would be the king?" Raja questioned.

"Nawfal. Im sure he has more experience being with you than me. He has been with you and knows how to make wise decision compared to me. He surely knows how to interact and manage. Im not interested in being the king, anyway. Im too young to be crowned and i know nothing. Im always at the battle ground and training the knights and thats all i do" Azad said with his head held high.

"Is this your final decision?" Raja interrorgated.

"Yes abba" Azad replied.

"Nawfal, you?" Raja questioned.

"I dont know abba, its your order. Whatever you think its good, you should do it. However, i did not want to be crowned now...probably after a few years later" Nawfal said quietly, thinking about his wife and he, being without any child. He was afraid of thinking of what would happen if he had no heir? Yes, he was the rightful one to be crowned. However, there were obstacles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you insane? Are you out of your mind? You know that i cant-" Nawfal yelled at Azad when they exited Raja's bedroom.

"Shush. Look here. You have more qualities than me. Accept that position that is given to you. Everything will be alright. Im happy that im the next commander. You should be happy too and dont complain. Bhabhi would be happy to hear this from you, go!" Azad responded and walked away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I hereby want to announce that I would be the next commander and Nawfal would be the next king. However, he wouldnt be crowned now but maybe in a few years. Thats all for today and you may continue your dinner" Azad announced and started eating.

Aisha and Alia were glad that the rightful owners got their positions.

Out of the sudden, Barkatji voiced out.

"Zainab how many years had it been ever since you are married? About three years or four? And you know, there is no progress. If theres no progress in life, do you think that there would be progress in the country? Nevermimd leave it" she said and continued eating.

Azad paused and glanced at Zainab, who was controlling her tears. He saw Alia looking at him as she patted Zainab's back. Alia's stare was sort of a signal to ask Azad to talk back.

"Whether the region progresses or not, is not based on a baby. I think its the mindset of the ruler. I think that Nawfal has a better mindset compared to some people in this table, who just couldnt shut their mouth and keep things to themselves. I think its better for a woman to agree what the higher officials say. Giving birth is not only the thing, one must know how to raise it well. And if you cant Barkatji, i think its time for you to zip" Azad replied, stressing each and every word.

He noticed Barkatji glaring at him however, he didnt bother and continued eating; like how he usually does.

Azad POV

Nowadays we were often hanging out in Alia's room. Alia and Aqil were always discussing about their region knights and how they trained them. Alia also mentioned how her mother passed away.

Aisha was just sitting, cross-legged and staring at Aqil. Just then, the door opened and bhabhi came in.

"Ah! You all are here. Let me join you all" she said and sat on the chair.

"Bhabhi,dont worry about what Barkatji said. She just doesnt like other people doing well.." i said.

Alia slapped my lap and whispered, "Why the hell did you reminded her of that? You are such an ass!"she whispered.

She quickly got up and went towards bhabhi.

"Actually i want to speak to Azad and Alia privately. So chottas, you can go and find something to be accompanied with" she said.

"Aqil, you wanted to see the horse stables right? I shall bring you there" Aisha said and brought Aqil out.

We turned around and saw bhabhi crying. I immediately went beside Alia but Alia quickly cupped her hands.

"I..i really cant take it!"she said as she whimpered.

Alia looked at me into my eyes that looked serious.

"I have been married for four years and i cant give birth! Nawfal was supposed to be crowned king, but his abba passed away in that tragic incident. Then, he married me and i couldnt give him a child" she continued.

"Didnt you visit any healer or anyone?" Alia asked.

"I have seen everyone but there is no way. I felt so bad for Nawfal. He is a caring and dutiful husband but...I thought it was my fault that i couldnt give birth. But then, it wasnt mine" she conveyed in a serious tone. Alia lifted her gaze from bhabhi to me.

"Yesterday, i went to Barkatji's room as I was instructed to bring her medication. There were alot of bottles there. When i rummaged the drawer, i saw a similiar herbal medicine that i had. I just took a sniff at it and realised that it was the same medicine that i would take if i had headpain.

However, the bottle was different and so were the labellings. I read the label and my heart shattered. I was eating the medicine, which prevents babies from forming....I couldnt do anything at that moment. I just ran out of the room" she finished, wiping off her tears.

Alia gasped and she looked at me. I was flabbergasted. So all, this while, she had a baby in her womb but it was destroyed by the medicine!

"Who.. who gave it you?" Alia questioned.

"Barkathji. I wouldnt have cried just now at dinner, but knowing whatever she did to me and she saying like that, made me cry" she wimpered.

I rose from my seat but Alia held my hand.

"Wait,Azad"she said. I ignored and gestured her to leave my hand. She squeezed it tightly and didnt want to let it go.

"Alia, you have been stopping me again and again. SHE KILLED MY NEPHEWS AND MY NIECES! SHE KILLED MY BROTHER'S BABIES. SHE KILLED THE HEIRS OF THE KINGDOM. DONT YOU UNDERSTAND?" I bellowed. She was surely taken aback this time and i saw bhabhi flinch the moment i screamed at Alia.

"Im not stopping you. Im following you!"she said in a stern voice. Bhabhi then broke into a smile.

Thats's my lady!