Chapter Thirteen | Break-In at Hogwarts

Later that evening, after everyone had eaten dinner, some people were still gathered in the Great Hall.

Harry and Ariana sat side-by-side opposite Ron and Hermione as they excitedly chatted about their experiences in Hogsmeade, both of them listening intently, wishing they could of been there themselves.

"And the post office! It's about 200 owls, all sitting on color-coded shelves, depending on how fast you want your letter to go!" Hermione exclaimed, full of giddiness.

Ariana was resting her folded arms on the table, leaning forward and listening to Hermione tell stories about the post-office.

"And Honeyduke's is brilliant!" Ron interjected. "Sugar Quills, Flaming Whizbees - and blood-flavored lollipops for Halloween!"

Harry nodded quietly and Ariana also gave a nod, although hers was a little more enthusiastic. The energy undoubtedly came from the fact she had cast a Patronus earlier, not that anyone knew about it. She did, however, intend to tell Harry, since he had also been attacked on the train.

A spray of brilliantly bright sweets was on the table, and Harry was picking through them.

Ariana picked one up. "I recommend these. They taste like whatever a certain person likes the most, quite like Amortentia, actually."

Harry gave a small smile and plucked it from her fingers, popping it in his mouth. A smile fell over his lips as he chewed on the red, chewy sweet. "It tastes like strawberry trifle."

"But, I mean, after awhile, it got a bit boring. Don't you think, Ron?" Hermione enquired, seeing how Harry and Ariana were pining after not being able to join them.

"Huh? Oh. Yeah. Dead depressing. Hang on. I almost forgot. I got you two something wicked at Dervish and Banges. It's a Pocket Sneakoscope." Ron placed two small glass spinning tops on the table. "If there's someone untrustworthy around, it's meant to light up and spin. Mind you, Fred and George say it's rubbish, sold for wizard tourists, but I thought, you know, it can't hurt, given that..."

"Sirius Black's trying to kill me," Harry added casually.

"And I'm apparently going to meet a 'gruesome end' in the near future," Ariana stated dryly, quoting Professor Trelawney.

Harry and Ariana both looked at each other and then smiled at their friends.

"I'm glad you had a good time. Really. And thanks for this," Harry said sincerely, eyeing the Sneakoscope. "Rubbish or not, you're right. It can't hurt."

"Exactly. We'll take all the help we can get," Ariana smiled, spinning the Sneakoscope around gently.

She noticed Harry drop a Pepper Imp into his mouth, and her eyebrows raised.

"Oh, careful of those, they'll make
your..." Room vegan, but in cue, smoke surged from Harry's ears and nose. "Never mind."

"Harry, we just discussed Pepper Imps earlier," Ariana chuckled.

As the smoke died down, all four Gryffindors laughed, their sounds of joy all merging together. Ariana loved these moments, since the only time she really ever laughed was during her time at Hogwarts.

As their chuckles died down, Ariana remembered that she wanted to do some studying before she went to bed. She pulled out her wand and said "accio The Complete History of Potions".

A few seconds later, a thick, hardback book came soaring in through the open doors, speeding over the heads of everyone inside. It began to slow down as it reached Ariana, and she plucked it out of the air.