Chapter Twenty-Seven | Moonlight

His footsteps were rapidly approaching, steaming towards the two teenagers.

"Harry," Ariana gasped quietly, using her wand to point at the name banner and footprints.

Harry's eyes widened. "Mischief managed!" He said, tapping the map with his wand.

"Nox," he and Ariana said in unison, causing their wands' light to extinguish.

Almost immediately, they were exposed to the harsh glare of Snape's wand, which was raised in their faces.

"O'Connor. Potter. What're you both doing wandering the corridors at night?" Snape questioned, his onyx eyes boring into Harry's with hatred.

"I couldn't sleep," Ariana answered, her face as unfathomable as that of the Professor's.

"I was sleepwalking..." Harry stated. Ariana fought the urge to roll her eyes.

A sneer curdled the corners of the black-haired man's lips. "How extraordinarily like your father you are, Potter. He, too, was exceedingly arrogant. Strutting about the castle -"

Harry's eyes hardened. "My dad didn't strut. Nor do I. Now, if you don't mind, I'd appreciate you lowering your wand."

The look Snape gave Harry was as cold as ice, and Ariana found it slightly amusing, though her face remained impassive.

The Potions Master contained himself and lowered his black wand, the light no longer burning the students' retinas.

"Turn out your pockets," Snape ordered, glowering.

Ariana's hands slowly dipped into her dressing gown pockets, recalling what was in there. She remembered that her spell notebook was in in there and inwardly cursed herself for bringing with her.

Harry, however, did not move, his eyes still boring into Snape's with an incredible amount of fierce loathing.

Ariana discreetly managed to tap her notebook with her wand before turning her pockets out. The witch had placed a spell on it that concealed all of the work she had done, making it look like she had school work inside it.

Snape's black eyes glittered when he caught sight of the black leather book, swiping it from Ariana's hand. He flicked through the pages, seemingly disappointed when he saw that it was filled with thorough Potions, DADA, Transfiguration, History of Magic and Charms notes.

Wrinkling his nose, he pressed it back into Ariana's hand with a displeased look on his face. Seeing that, Ariana internally smirked with triumph.

"Turn out your pockets, Potter!" Snape backed.

Finally, Harry obliged. He pulled the map from his pocket, although it looked like a blank sheet of parchment. Both of thee students' hearts sank when it was brought out; they knew its innocent appearance wouldn't fool Snape for long.

"And this. What might it be?" Snape enquired, his eyes shining once again at the though of catching Harry with something he shouldn't have.

"Spare bit of parchment," Harry lied casually.

"Really..." Snape drawled, not believing them for a second. He poised his wand, the tip set on the center of the paper. "Reveal your secrets."

To Harry and Ariana's horror, words began to bleed on to the paper. Ariana managed to keep a black mask on her face, but Harry was clearly concerned, it would of been as well written on his forehead. Preying on his fear, Snape studied Harry, a sadistic half-smile on his lips.