Chapter Sixteen | Quidditch and Dementors

The next day came around quite quickly, and the Quidditch match. The Gryffindor team were competing against Hufflepuff, who had quite a good team.

Oliver Wood, their Captain, had been furious about the fact that Slytherin had pulled out, since their Seeker's arm was injured. Although everyone knew Malfoy was playing his injury up.

As it was Wood's last year at Hogwarts, he was desperate to win the Cup, as it was his last chance. His team wholeheartedly backed him up, determined to win the Tournament for their team and their Captain.

The stadium was full to the gunnels with spectators, consisting of students, professors and a few others. Their cheers could be heard overhead as the teams prepared themselves for the game.

The weather was definitely not on their side. Wind howled, torrential rain poured and lightning struck every few minutes, making it even more difficult for the players.

Harry and Ariana were just about to put their goggles on, but Ariana stopped. "Harry, can I see your goggles?"

"Oh, yeah," he agreed, handing his goggles over. "Why?"

Ariana pulled her wand from her scarlet Quidditch robes, aiming it at Harry's goggles. "Impervius," she said. "There, now they are completely waterproof. They won't be affected by mist or condensation, either."

Harry accepted his newly charmed goggles from Ariana's outstretched hand. "Thanks."

Ariana preformed the same charm on her own goggles and put them on, pulling the strap over the French braid in her hair. She also placed the charm on their clothing, hoping to protect them from the rain, since Quidditch matches could go on for quite a while.

"Alright," Wood spoke up. "It's time."

The Gryffindor team grabbed their broomsticks and got into formation in front of the door which they would fly through in a few moments. Harry and Ariana stood side-by-side, with Fred and George Weasley standing behind them, since they were the team's Beaters, each one being responsible for keeping a wild ball named the Bludger away from their teammates.

The school band began to play, so the team mounted their brooms, hovering two feet above the ground. The large doors opened and the team shot out, flying around the oval-shaped pitch in formation.

The Gryffindor supporters roared and cheered, chanting "go, go, Gryffindor!"

Ludo Bagman was commentating the game as he did since their first year.

"Hello! Welcome to the first Quidditch match of the season. Hufflepuff versus Gryffindor!"

Ariana was already soaking. Her clothes were doing well, since they had been newly waterproofed, but her head was completely drenched. In her opinion, it was all worth it, since Quidditch was a big part of her school life.

The team zoomed around the pitch at incredible speeds, mixing with the yellow-robed Hufflepuff players as they took their positions.

Ariana sat between Fred and George, watching as the Quidditch coach, Madame Hooch, walked onto the pitch far down below them.

The Captains shook hands, a customary tradition before starting a game, then the rejoined their teams floating high above the ground.

She blew her whistle and released the balls from their chest. The Golden Snitch shot off somewhere unknown, the two Bludgers began flying maliciously towards the players and a fellow Chaser, Angelina, managed to grab the Quaffle.

She and Ariana used the towers to their advantage and looped in between them, passing the ball back and forth, skillfully evading the Hufflepuff Chasers.