Chapter Twenty-Eight | Snakes and an Executioner

"Relax... Let your mind... go..."

Ariana absent-mindedly stared into the crystal ball that sat in front of her, wishing she was in any other class. Smoke curled inside the glass ball, reflecting Ariana's bored expression perfectly.

She sat around a small, circular table, that was covered with a purple cloth, with her friends. Harry had his head on the table, also blankly peering into the misty ball. Ron was actually asleep, light snores coming with every breath he took. Hermione was the only one who seemed vaguely interested.

"Crystal-gazing requires that you clear the Inner Eye. Only then, will you... See. Oh my, what do we have here...?" Trelawney asked, gazing the Gryffindors' crystal, kneeling down beside Ariana and Hermione.

Harry elbowed Ron to wake him up before he was caught, and the redhead woke up with a start, looking about to regain awareness of his surroundings.

"Do you mind me trying?" Hermione asked, smiling.

"Ah!" Trelawney gasped, pleased that someone was taking so much interest in her teachings.

"The Grim. Possibly," Hermione stated, not once looking away from their bushy, blonde-haired Professor.

Trelawney picked up Hermione's hand, tracing the lines on her palm. "My dear, from the moment you first arrived in my class, I sensed that you did not possess the proper spirit for the noble art of Divination. You may be young in years, but the heart that beats beneath your bosom is as shriveled as an old maid's, your soul as dry as the pages of the books to which you so desperately cleave," she said with a faraway stare, patting Hermione's hand.

Ariana watched with raised eyebrows as Hermione ripped her hand away from Trelawney, stung by the words. Remarkably, the girl seemed to be lost for words, but actions spoke much louder than words.

Hermione abruptly stood up and knocked the crystal ball down off of its stand. It rolled straight out of the door, seeming to follow Hermione as she stormed out.

Trelawney looked at Harry, Ron and Ariana, genuinely confused. "Was it something I said?"

Ariana blinked a few times, glancing at Harry and Ron as if to say 'is she serious?'. "Yes, I think it might of been."

"'In late spring, one of our number will leave us forever!' You knew, Professor! You saw," Lavender gasped, brown-nosing her favourite teacher.

Ariana completely disapproved of this, since she saw it as pathetic. Nevertheless, she kept her mouth shut, despite feeling the urge to shake her head and roll her eyes dismissively.

"On these occasions, I take no joy in my gift, Miss Brown," Trelawney sighed, disheartened. She arose from the floor, peering at the remainder of the class through her ridiculously huge glasses. "As I was saying, Crystal-gazing..."

Ariana just zoned out, her eyes focused put of the window, rather than on her teacher. She remained that was for the rest of the class.

Once they were able to get out of the class, Ariana desperately sped walked out of the murky room, accompanied by her two friends.

Ron was ranting about Hermione. "She's gone mental, Hermione has. I mean, not that she wasn't always mental, but now it's out in the open for everyone to see..."

"She hasn't 'gone mental'," Ariana scoffed, raising incredulous eyebrows at Ron. "Divination is terrible! Im proud of Hermione."

"Hang on," Harry interjected, pausing his decent down the spiral staircase. Ariana looked past Ron to see Harry banging over to pick Hermione's crystal ball up. "We should take this back."