Chapter Thirty-Four | Werewolves Are Not to be Messed With

Ariana was thankful to of finally reached the fresh air of the Hogwarts ground, instead of being inside of the dusty, stuffy shack. She breathed deeply, hauling her injured body out of the hole at the bottom of the Whomping Willow, which had once again been immobilised.

Lupin was already outside, standing with his wand inches from Pettigrew's cowering body. Ron had been left down at the mouth of the tunnel, waiting to be pulled up by the two guys acting as his crutches.

As they lowered Ron to the ground, Sirius wandered off. Ariana knew it must of been amazing to finally have people, one of which was his best friend and the other being his godson, know the truth. Both she and Hermione told Harry they would remain with Ron, telling the boy to join his godfather. After protesting a few times, Harry finally caved and left to be with Sirius.

"I reckon they might have to chop it off," said Ron, pointing to his bandaged leg.

"I'm sure Madam Pomfrey will have it mended in a heartbeat," Hermione reassured, her words soft; kind.

Ariana smiled and sat beside Ron on a large rock. She listened to Peter whimper in the background, but she truly didn't care. The pale light of the moon caught her hair and skin, making it look as if she was glowing.

The witch shot to her feet as Hermione got to hers, worry all over the brunette's face. "Harry!" she shouted, her finger extended.

Ariana's piercing eyes followed the invisible line that was projected from Hermione's finger, and they landed on the full moon emerging from behind a large mountain. She stood frozen for a moment, watching as Lupin's attention was drawn to the moon above them.

The man's body began to tremble, his wand seconds away from falling to the grass. His eyes dilated, looking like black saucers, and his skin turned a sickly shade of grey. Ariana acted on what seemed to be instinct and ran for Lupin, pressing her palms into his heaving chest as she pushed him backwards.

"We have to back here, just a little," she said, her voice strained.

In her attempt to get him away from her friends, she managed to walk a few steps, but the transformation began to overtake Lupin. He bellowed in agony, his body arching over Ariana's, leaving her pressed to his chest.

"Please," she begged, "you know who you really are. You are not this."

Ariana had no option but to remain held to his chest, feeling his skin boil under his shirt. Lupin panted, shouting as his body cracked and morphed. The witch grimaced as she too panted, listening to his bones snap and crack in a sickening manner.

Sirius reached them and freed Ariana from Lupin's grip, taking her place in order to hold him up. "Remus, my old friend. Have you taken your potion tonight?" Strangled, pained yells left Lupin's mouth as his back arched, leaving Sirius to struggle against him. "You know the man you truly are, Remus! This heart is where you truly lie! This heart here! This flesh is only flesh!"

Ariana watched in horror as their Professor shouted in agony, his body twisting, bones cracking, as he morphed into a werewolf. She made it back to her friends, having released from Lupin's arms.

While Hermione pulled Ron up, Ariana noticed Pettigrew grab Lupin's wand, making an attempt to commit suicide. Harry was too fast, countering his actions before he had the chance to kill himself. "Expelliarmus!" he shouted.

Lupin's wand went soaring into the long grass behind Pettigrew. Foiled, the man turned to plan b. He waved a meaty paw and shrunk down to his animagus form, running away into the long grass. The only evidence that he was ever there was a foul suit lying on the ground.