Chapter Thirty-One | The Shrieking Shack

The three injured Gryffindors made it down the tunnel, which had abruptly ended. A hatch lay just above their heads, so Harry opened it and hoisted himself up. Being the kind person he is, he helped Ariana and Hermione up. The white-haired witch got to her feet, biting back a groan as her bruises stung. She looked about, taking her eerie surroundings.

Wallpaper was peeling off of the wooden walls in strips and shattered furniture lay strewn everywhere, looking like a sea of splintered wood. Ariana's eyebrows twisted when she saw stains - suspiciously similar to dried blood - blotting the dirty floorboards.

What was even worse, was that the building was swaying. Doors rocked back and forth on their hinges and the foundations creaked, giving the impression that the building was about to fall down at any given moment. It made Ariana feel quite uneasy.

"We're in the Shrieking Shack, aren't we?" Hermione enquired, her eyes searching the building she stood in.

"Yes," Ariana said under her breath, nodding her head a little.

She noticed Harry staring at the floor and followed his line of vision... and saw huge paw prints on the dust.

The witch heard the ceiling creak above them, signalling movement. The three students dashed up the rickety wooden staircase, arriving on the landing.

"Look," Ariana whispered, pointing at the ground. A wide stripe cut through the dust, looking like something had been dragged inside a room on their left... Ron.

"Nox," Ariana and Harry incanted almost silently, the lights at the tip of their wands going out.

They ran through the open doorway to seen Ron sitting upon a sagging bed, clothing his bleeding foot.

"Ron! You're okay!" Hermione gasped.

"The dog - where's the -"

"He's the dog. It's a trap! He's an Animagus!" Ron said frantically, pointing a shaking finger at the door.

Ariana glanced dish at the floor. The paw prints lead towards the wall. As the shack swayed, the battered door slammed closed, revealing none other than Sirius Black.

He wore disgusting dark prison clothing, his black hair was matted down to his shoulders and his skin resembled that of a corpse; sallow and grey.

Ariana and Hermione immediately jumped in front of Harry, using themselves to shield him from Black. The white-haired witch kept Harry behind her with a vice-like grip, determined to die for her friends if need be. Ron, ever the loyal friend, hauled himself up and clung to Ariana and Hermione to remain upright; the colour drained from his face.

"If you want Harry, you'll have to kill us too!" he shouted.

"No. Only one will die tonight," said Sirius darkly, his open lips revealing filthy, rotting teeth. He loomed towards them, looking like the walking dead.

"Did you hear me?" yelled Ron defiantly, "you'll have to kill all four of us!"

"Then it'll be you!" Harry growled, tearing himself free of the girls' grips.

"Harry!" Ariana called, but nothing could call him back from the rage he felt.

She did feel since of it herself, but she knew Sirius wasn't directly responsible for her mother's death. Ariana still wanted to punch that creepy grin from his manic face.

Harry had tackled his Godfather to the ground, holding his wand in the man's face. Ariana noticed how his hand trembled with fury, and she considered if Harry would actually injure the criminal.