Chapter Thirty-Two | The Garden Rat

In anticipation of the new arrival, Ariana trained her wand on the doorway. She took two steps forward, standing by Harry's side, since he was wandless.

The footsteps grew louder, and the other people inside the room noticed them too late. Snape emerged through the doorway.

"Expelliarmus!" he said, his voice louder than it usually was. Lupin wand, yet again, went flying through the air until it hit the floor.

Ariana couldn't move her eyes from the scene, but had moved her hand to aim her wand at Lupin, since Black was already taken care of.

The pain from the tentacle stings and the bruises gifted from the Whomping Willow faded into background noise as Ariana was simply too full of adrenaline to care. Her focus was not spilt, every ounce of it was on her friends, Lupin, Black and Snape.

"Ah, vengeance is sweet. How I hoped I'd be the one to catch you," Snape sneered, his onyx eyes staring at Black with pure, unadulterated hatred.

Lupin stepped forward, but shot straight back when another wand was trained on him. "Severus -"

"I told Dumbledore you were helping your old friend into the castle. And here's the proof."

Sirius strode around in front of Snape. "Brilliant, Snape! Once again you put your keen and penetrating mind to the team, and as usual, come to the wrong conclusion. Now, Remus and I have a bit of unfinished business to tend to."

Sirius approached Snape, which Ariana could see was a horrid idea, and she was correct. With cat-like reflexes, Snape jabbed his wand into Black's neck, holding it there.

"Give me a reason. I beg you."

"Now, Severus, don't be a fool," Lupin urged, walking towards Sirius slowly.

"He can't help it. It's habit by now," Sirius retorted.

"Quiet, Sirius!" Lupin exclaimed, not wanting to give Snape a reason to kill Black outright.

Snape clucked his tongue mockingly. "Listen to you two. Quarreling like an old married couple. The creature and the criminal."

"Why don't you run along and play with your Chemistry set?" Sirius quipped.

Snape's arm snapped up, pressing his wand further into Black's flesh. "I could do it, you know. But why deny the Dementors? They're so longing to see you."

Ariana watched with a tight grip on her wand. Her breathing had evened out, but her muscles were still taut, ready to react in a flash.

She and Harry stood by each other's side, both of the brave Gryffindors prepared sacrifice themselves for those they loved. Hopefully it wouldn't come to that.

Snape slowly walked forwards, backing Sirius into an old, broken piano. "Do I detect a flicker of fear? Oh, yes, the Dementor's Kiss. One can only imagine what it must be like to endure. It's said to be unbearable to witness. But I'll do my best."

Ariana saw movement in her peripheral vision. It was Harry. He was moving his arm around Hermione's side, gently pulling her wand from her pocket. Ron reached up to tug her out of the way, but Ariana was out of his reach, so he couldn't do the same for her.

"After you," Snape growled, holding his wand arm out of the door. He nodded at his students, allowing them to go first.

Harry said nothing and walked forwards, raising Hermione's wand. Sirius twisted himself away from the boy, preparing himself for the worst, but, to everyone's shock, Harry hit someone else.

"Expelliarmus!" he shouted. With a small whoosh, Snape sailed through the air in a could of black robes. He crashed through an old, four-poster bed.