👻chapter ㅡ fourteen👻

I had no idea where Kino was so I went back to his room and in boredom, I sat in front of his computer. I can't believe I survived before he came into my lifeㅡwhen I couldn't touch anything and I couldn't talk to anyone. It turned out the laptop was on sleep. I moved the mouse and the screen lit up, revealing the opened browser Kino might have left. I blinked my eyes. These are emails.

From: kinnovator98@gmail.com
To: melody0321@gmail.com
Date: December 1, 2015, 11:00 PM

This was last night. I wanted to stop reading from thereㅡbut I couldn't. I should, but my eyes travelled way down. Curiosity had gotten over me.

Hey... it's been a while. I hope you're doing fine. I have no idea why you stopped talking to me, but you're still a friend to me. I just want you to know a big news about my life; I'm getting the treatment again. I've decided to do it for my mom and for myself, too.
I have a new friend. It's funny because you have the same name. Yuna. How many Yunas are there in Korea? Anyway, she's really nice. Stubborn, but nice. I really hope I succeed on helping her out to find her way back to her family again. It's weird because I didn't really want to get involved with her at firstyet somehow I learnt to care about her, the way I care about my parents and you. You are all very important to me.

I hope you write back again soon. I miss talking to you.

I closed the laptop quickly, feeling guilt blossoming inside me for reading something I shouldn't haveㅡand yet the silence was so loud, I couldn't hear anything at the moment because I couldn't forget the words he wrote. I am important to him. He cares about me. The thought sent a tingling feeling in my stomach.

I took a deep breath. Yuna. Could it be because I have the same name of his friend's? I remembered now; the look on his face when he read my name pin. The look of recognition that I didn't understand, and I simply ignored. Where is she? Why did she stop replying to Kino? She really means a lot to him, I know that. Should I find her for him? I got up and roamed around the house once again. It's almost lunch time. Where is Kino?

I almost jumped when the door suddenly opened, revealing him and his mom. They were both smiling, carrying paper bags. Did they go shopping? When he saw me, he stopped on his tracks and his eyes travelled all over me. I wanted to shrink in shame but I was somehow frozen on my spot. He opened his mouth to speak but his mother turned to him and asked, "Are you alright?"

He nodded, forcing himself to look away. "Y-yeah."

"I'll prepare lunch. Will call you when it's ready."

"Okay, thanks, mom."

When he went to his room, I cupped my cheeks and almost felt as if they were burning but of course, that couldn't be.

I followed him to his room. "Kino," I called and to my surprise, he almost jumped. "Are you okay?" I asked.

He cleared his throat and said, "Yeah! Of course!"

"Where have you been? You were out all morning."

"Mom and I went out. I had to buy an outfit for the party."

I nodded. There's an awkward silence between us, and then he pushed the paper bags underneath his bed. "That dress, uh, looks good on you." He said, without looking into my eyes.

"Yeah, thanks to you, I woke up in it."

He smiled just a little. "Sorry, I couldn't return it."

I shrugged. "It's done anyway, it's beautiful. Thank you."

He chuckled, sliding his hands into his jean pockets. "It's weird. You've been thanking me a lot lately."

"Just twice?"