👻chapter ㅡ fifteen👻

The realization hit me hard that I didn't notice I've stopped swaying along with him

The realization hit me hard that I didn't notice I've stopped swaying along with him. I've stopped moving at all. "Back at the party," he said, "I don't know whyㅡbut I wish I could dance with you."

I felt myself starting to frown as I look at him. No, it's not because I hated what he said. I just know now where this is going and I'm scared.

I swallowed hard. "You don't?"

He put down my hand but he didn't let go. His eyes fixed on our hands, intertwined. "I think I do." He said.

A small smile curved on my lips. "Yeah, I think I do, too."

"Yuna," he called my name softly. "I know this is not what you need right now. I know it will be complicatedㅡbut I want you to know that... I care about you and I really wish we met at the right time."

I felt my eyes warm up. "Aren't you scared?"

"Of you? I told you, I'm not—"

"No," I said. "Aren't you scared that I might not be able to remember?”

He nodded. "I am. Of course, I am."

"Me, too." I said quietly. "I'm afraid I would wake upㅡand all of this would just be a beautiful dream." I looked at the fireflies again, and then to him.

"Can we not think about that time yet?" he asked.

God, he's so beautiful. I nodded quietly. What can I do to remember every piece of him when I wake up? He pulled me closer, caressing my cheek. "You glow," he said, smiling. Even his teeth were perfectly aligned. Kang Hyunggu, the most beautiful boy I've ever seen. "And you're beautiful." He added. I smiled, looking down shyly. "You said you only get shy when you like the guy you're with," he said, lifting my face by touching my chin. "You like me, right?"

I wonder how my heart monitor in the ICU looks like right now. Maybe it's creating huge zig-zags. Maybe my dad is watching it somehow, not knowing whether to feel relieved or worriedㅡjust like how I imagined he would be if he finds out that his daughter is falling in love with a boy who looks like trouble, but is really nothing but a person who was blessed with inner and outer beauty.

A smile spread across my lips. "I thought you won't have to ask." I said, and he pressed his lips on mine. At that very moment, I felt so alive. I had no idea how my lips felt like on him, but his were warm and soft, and tasted like sweets. I wonder if he ate something sweet at the party. He kissed me soft and slow, and it was more beautiful than all these fireflies. It was more magical than this place.

When our lips pulled apart, he gave me the most precious smile in the world, then he pulled me in for a hug. I was so self-conscious. "I'm just curious," I said jokingly.

"What?" he asked, chuckling.

"Am I cold?"

He pulled away, laughing. "What!"