Queen of Hearts

The circus was all she had expected: big, flashy, and displaying the red-and-white tent where all the 'good stuff' was supposed to happen. Looking around at all the so-called exotic animals who were but rare genetic modifications, Estelle blankly followed the pair inside.

She boredly sat there as Joker and the rest of the first-tier members put on one of the best shows Victorian England could ever think of. The only other emotion the vampire showed throughout was longing when the fire-breather went on his performance. Due to raging Death Dealer hormones, Estelle scented the man's vampiric nature from her vantage point, and instinct drove her to try and seduce him into her Hunt.

Anticipating the animal act coming up next, the vampire pulled the ardent cat-lover down and took his place as volunteer for Beast's performance. A selective eye-signal was given to Ciel to keep an eye on him as she was invited down, and as expected, the tiger was terrified of her.

All animals knew better than to go near such a predator as a vampire unless coerced. They may obey a Death Dealer's commands, but that was out of fear and self-preservation. The act could have gone well if she simply gave Betty a glare to behave, but that would cause more fuss than what she really had in mind.

Beast was about to force her poor tiger to get on with it when Estelle met the vampire fire-breather's eyes. She flickered her pale-blue eyes at the platform near her hand, and he immediately understood the request.

Suddenly the flames from the torches flashed higher and set the stage alight. The platform was on fire as well, searing the back of her hand painfully.

Estelle screamed in pain, and the spectators gasped as the other circus members rushed to put the fire out. Joker was by her side as Beast and her little brother Dagger went to put Betty in her cage and keep her from bolting.

"You okay, little lady?" the orange-haired ringmaster asked worriedly.

"F-Fine," the vampire rasped with fake tears in her eyes. Her hand was already beginning to heal exponentially fast; she wasn't old enough to master slowing down her healing rate as of yet.

But her bloodline was filled with masters of illusion. When Joker took her hand to examine the 'burn', he saw it as it looked a few moments ago, though in reality the scar itself was disappearing. "We have a doctor 'round the back. Let's have him take a look at ye." And he began to lead her out of the big tent quickly.

The Death Dealer threw looks at Sebastian, Ciel, and the male fire-breather. The first two were 'hide and find me later', and the last was the same as a 'call me' look. Just more R-rated.

Estelle tried to look more concerned about her (now non-existent) wound as her eyes roved around the circus grounds. Though the children weren't here, she wanted to catch a look-see at other possible members who were 'nocturnal'. Then again, they'd all probably be in the first-tier section guarded by Snake. It was considered difficult for a vampire to keep their athleticism at the level of Olympic athletes. They should have moved up quickly.

Doc was just as concerned as Joker when he heard what happened. The surgeon/maniac doll-maker inspected her hand carefully, watching for Estelle's ever-so-genuine winces and little wimpers. He finally wrapped it in a clean bandage with some ointment that was supposed to 'ease the pain'. Like a good girl, the vampiress thanked him, then expressed a child-like curiosity about joining the circus. A far better set-up than the shenanigans in the manga. Plus, it would be easier for the demon butler to seduce Beast later on.

Soon the buxom lady and the fire-breather both entered the tent just as Doc and Joker were explaining to her about things she already knew about. Upon closer inspection, the vampire was pretty cute, with long red hair in a braid and the same pale blue eyes. He winked at her flirtatiously, and she giggled like a little girl. Unfortunately, Estelle had keep her persona up with all these humans around.

She also showed a cat-like fascination for anything unfamiliar when Doc explained the way he made his prosthetics worked. He seemed outwardly delighted by all the attention, though the vampiress could smell the malice and building madness on him. Everyone was charmed quite soon, and the vampiress managed to extract a promise that she could try out with a few friends the next day. As she got up to leave, the shirtless male vampire 'gallantly' offered to escort her out. Estelle took it 'shyly' and was followed by a look of pity from Beast as they walked out. He must've been taking great advantage of the circus' mobility.

"So, I see that another appointment is due," the man murmured lowly in the Vampiric language.

"But of course," the vampiress replied. "You and your fledglings should prepare for a few changes, though; many of the first-tier members won't be around when the week is out."

The Death Dealer gave her a fanged grin as they neared Sebastian and Ciel. "Will do," was the last she heard from him before he flashed out of there before the demon or anyone else could detect him. Estelle waved at them as she came near, then discarded the useless bandage. The ointment could still be useful for Ciel or Sebastian.

"I take it that there is no sign of the children in the tent area?" the crimson-eyed butler inquired. The vampiress shook her head 'no', then interjected, "But I managed to get the two of you into circus auditions so you can investigate for yourselves. If you need me, I'll most like be around the gorgeous fire-breather we saw tonight."

"A Death Dealer?"

"Yes. Single father to twelve fledglings. He'd make a wonderful suitor," Estelle went on as the walked to the carriage, "If he is as strong-willed as I hoped, I wouldn't have to worry about so many of the young minnows....."