Midnight Murder Mystery

A.N: Dear Gods above, it's the first time I've encountered a hiatus with this story. Maybe because I am getting to the exciting part and then I won't be able to write about anything interesting anymore. After this, it's the Campagne, and then the boys go to boarding school and leave me all alone!

So I will lengthen this somehow, maybe involving my vampires and Earl Grey. Hmmm~ I have plans for him now.

Enjoy ladies!

Estelle calmly tilted her head at the letter, waiting patiently for alarm to settle in.

To Madame Estelle Darkmoor,

The Lord Cain extends his condolences for the recent passing of the Madame's sire, Countess Elizabet Bathory. To draw you from your current predicament, attend the party to be held in the Phantomhive manor tonight. Other interesting guests will be attending the small gala; perhaps you can find someone to catch your eye.

Meaning, he hoped that the vampiress would take this chance to have an fledgling to worry about after the party. 100 years was more than enough time to  create and implement a contingency plan should she turn feral like her dam.

The Lord and his attendant will look forward to your presence.

Sincerely, Cain of the Elder Council

"Well......." she sighed, "It seems I have an unforeseen complication on my hands." Then she looked out the window. "Oh, there'll be rain tonight."

Sebastian was duly made aware of the situation, and left alone for once to ponder the strange request. Naturally, it was not in her place to refuse an Elder, but one would have thought that her small show of brutality scant weeks ago caused them to keep a distance. Like the Death Dealer, the demon concluded that Lord Cain was planning something, and prepared accordingly.

That night brought the appearance of a new carriage that had never before graced the driveway of Phantomhive manor. It was pure black, as were its horses, and the crest depicting a sword and phial was in deep red.

Lord Cain was first to get out, dressed more formally in his clan colors of black and red. As the founder of the Tepes clan, he looked a lot older than his once youthful appearance. Francis, his loyal aide, followed suit. Handed down from the carriage like the lady she was supposed to be, Madame Darkmoor was last to descend.

She wore a shoulder-less gown in midnight blue and black, clan colors as was the custom. Her delicate arms were encased by black lace gloves to just below her shoulders, and black lace accented her dress. The lady's hair was piled into a seductive half-bun, with calculated strands falling invitingly to her neck. Like the lord, she looked slightly older than her usual visual age, 18 years, and red lipstick consolidated that age advancement. Sapphire drops completed the look. She did not look anything else but a proud vampire city-ruler.

The trio were welcomed by a fakely smiling Sebastian, and stood waiting in the foyer for the guest of honor.

Everyone but the writer were occupying themselves in some way, as the vampiress expected. Seeing Lord Cain and Francis in a deep conversation about clan affairs, Estelle politely turned away and sent a small smile of reassurance the poor man's way. He really should be a little less nervous when meeting Ran-Mao and the Earl later.

The man started and blushed with surprise. Unfortunately, her gesture only seemed to make him jumpier. Oh well, she tried.

Just then she witnessed the man's unfortunate first meeting with Lau and his 'little sister'. More specifically, Ran-Mao's bosom and the fact that her dress really did nothing for propriety. Taking the chance, Estelle lightly waved her fan at the Chinese bodyguard, and the girl immediately brought herself to bear on her one-day lover.