17.

Italics: Aspen
Bold: Kenneth
Bold+underlined: Dylan

"Hey Aspen!"

"Well don't you sound cheerful today."

"Of course I would be happy. I have to babysit my niece and believe it or not, I actually like looking after her. She's watching Moana right now and I swear this is the 100th time but it doesn't even tire her out."

"...well kids love Moana?"

"..."

"..."

"Very funny. So what's up? Where are you? I can hear a lot of noise."

"I'm working."

"And why don't you seem happy about it? Did Mrs. Hansey finally get to you?"

"No. She's sweet as always."

"I don't understand how you can find her sweet."

"Maybe she just likes me more than you. So just accept it."

"Ha. Ha. Don't be sassy now. So what really happened? Why are you sad?"

"I kind of think it's your fault."

"My fa- wait. What did I do? Did I say something wrong?"

"Well yes."

"And what was it that I said?"

"You said I would have a great day today."

"....and you didn't?"

"Shane makes sure that I wouldn't have a good day at all. So it was not unpredictable. I just wanted to believe you for once though. I was.....happy?"

"...."

"Now don't be all silent and awkward. I was just pulling your leg. It's not your fault okay?"

"Bu-"

"It's fine! Man I guess I'll go buy some ice cream, cupcakes and chocolates after work. After all, they're supposed to help me when I'm sad."

"I can help you too."

"Did you just grumble?"

"...no?"

"..."

"Stop laughing. An- Lily, why did you spill that milk. Mom is going to kill me now."

"You better tend to Lily. I have to get to work."

"....I'll do something."

"What?"

*Beeps*

Aspen looked at her phone after the call got disconnected. She didn't know why but her lips twitched upwards into an amusing smile. She always felt kind of content after her talks with Kenneth. Sometimes she felt confused and sad but she was filled with a warmth most of the times. She still did not understand why.

"Excuse me." A voice interrupted her. She quickly stuffed her phone in her apron pocket and faced a sweet old lady in front of her.

"What can I get you?"

She was back to work.

Twenty minutes and a lot of orders later, she sighed as she rested against the stool. Working as a receptionist was hard as well. Even though she knew the consequences of standing for a long period of time, she wanted this job. It made her happy.

I wonder what Kenneth is doing now. She wondered as she looked over around the almost filled diner. It was a busy day today.

The ringing of the bell made her almost instantly stand to take the order. It was a boy. Pretty cute to be honest and seemed around her age. She felt like she had seen him somewhere but she couldn't put her finger to it.

He was blonde, had deep brown eyes like dark chocolate and was pretty tall too. Well, she was too short to begin with.

He looked over at her and came towards her with a boyish smile that she almost blushed.

"Are you Aspen?"

Aspen tilted her head at that voice. She felt like she'd heard it somewhere. Why did he seem so familiar?

"Y-Yes?" She stammered a little.

He let out a laugh. "I finally meet you. You are really pretty."

Aspen's face fired up at the unexpected comment and then realisation hit her.

"Kenneth?" She asked, not wanting to believe that the boy in question was standing before her. She wanted to run in embarrassment now. Why did he have to come?

"You think I'm Kenneth?" The boy asked, with a smirk.

"You're....not?"

The boy let out a laugh again and Aspen blushed deeper. She was feeling more and more embarrassed now.

"No I'm not. That asshole is too much of a coward to come here himself. I'm Dylan." He said, smiling again.

Aspen let out a sigh of relief. She knew just now that she wasn't ready to face the real, human Kenneth yet.

"Oh thank God. Um what brings you here?" She asked, trying to hide her relief.

"Man that hurts. Anyways, I was given a task."

"A task?"

"To deliver this." Dylan said, placing a really cute basket on the counter. What was inside made Aspen's heart beat a little bit faster.

"W-Who sent this?"

"Kenneth of course. Said he needed to cheer you up. Well then, I'll be going. It's going to be so much fun to tease him."

Dylan saluted her then walked out of the diner I'm a few seconds. Aspen kept staring at the basket which was filled with her favorite ice creams and bluberry cupcakes. There was a note as well.

She picked up the small piece of note and glanced over at the neat and beautiful handwriting.

'Everyday may not be good but there is something good in everyday.

PS: I just guessed but I hope it's your favorite.

~Kenneth'

Aspen's eyes were almost filled with tears when she read that note. This little gesture of his was enough to make her realise one more thing.

The buzzing of her phone caught her attention and a smile instantly latched on her face when she saw who was calling.

"Thank you." She said, not even saying a hello.

"Well, I suppose you got what I sent Dylan to do?"

"Yeah and thank you very much. You were right."

"I was?"

"Today really is a good day."

*Beeps*

Aspen blushed a little as she tucked her phone in her pocket and looked at the little basket again.

She really liked Kenneth Jones.