The Second was a Success?

The bell rang, and it was then it dawned on me that I had no idea where I was meant to be going. Luckily, I spotted Angelica and was able to follow her to our next lesson, which was French.

I wasn't good at French. I mean, it was a whole other language, why should I be good at learning how the 67 million or so people in France spoke?

Since I went up the wrong staircase, even though I was following Angelica, i was the last one there, and there was only one spot left in the classroom.

Madame Laberge, our tall and spindly French teacher, had a clear seating plan for her lesson, so I ended up next to...

A boy.

The boy that I had seen both Angelica and Eliza staring at and fussing over.

He was handsome, but not very tall, and he was concentrating on the work so hard I thought he might blow his brain into bits.

Madame Laberge set us off doing some work, and I really had no idea what to write. I was just a about to throw me pen onto the floor when the boy held out his hand to me and said, "Comment apelle tu?"

I was so shocked, since he'd been silent all lesson, but I took his hand. He smiled at me, and I was aware of Angelica glaring across the room and me and-

"It means what's your name."

Of course, I had been asked a question. "Er, je m'appalle Peggy Schuyler."

"Je m'appelle Alexander Hamilton." He put extra stress on the 'elle' of 'm'apellle' but it took me a minute to realise I had said it wrong.

"Oh, je m'appelle. Thank you."

"Parler Français."

"Oh er..."

"Merci." He smiled, probably laughing at my stupidity, and I snatched my hand back, realising just how long I'd been clutching it.

I spend the rest of the lesson trying desperately to ignore him, and when I went outside, Angelica was waiting with Eliza, the thunderous looks on their faces matching.