Sixth for Secrets

The second we left our chemistry class, Maria was taken aside by a tall dude. I could just overhear what he was saying to her.

"I've told you to stay away from her!"

Her? Her? I had a name, dumbass. Although even my own teachers didn't seem to know it. I shoved my way into their conversation, which was probably a bad idea, but Maria had mentioned a he, and this guy looked rather masculine.

"Actually, my name is Peggy." I said, slowly and patronisingly.

"James." His eyes swept me up and down, and I swear his gaze lingered on my chest. "We'll be going now, if Maria wants to?" He looked at her and smiled, but there was some sort of cold malice behind the smile that made me narrow my eyes.

"Yes." Maria's face was wiped clean of emotion. "Goodbye." James started to walk off, Maria trailing after, but I grabbed her wrist.

"What are you doing?" I hissed as quietly as I could.

"I have to leave, Peggy." Her voice was at normal volume, and James, pompous, obviously rich-kid, James, turned around.

"We don't have all day honey." His tone was soft, and I guess you could call it kind if not for the subtle promise of repeated threats underneath.

Maria met my eyes with an expression of pain. "Sorry." She managed to keep her own tone of voice emotionless, even as she looked at me with such sadness in her eyes that made me want to hug her again.

I released her wrist and watched the couple go, knowing James' days were numbered, finally understanding that first text I received from Maria's phone, and I felt myself become sad.

This girl, this broken girl who I could not stop thinking about in my next class. This beautiful, broken girl. She deserved better than this. She was so sad, and so gentle. My mind was racing, covering all the possible things that he could be doing to her at this very moment, while I was just sitting in my lesson and doing nothing about it.

Angelica appeared behind me.

"Don't associate yourself too much with Maria. Her and James are trouble." Angelica said, unusually kindly.

"She's unhappy! Why can't anyone see that instead of seeing what James," I spat his name out like a curse, "wants people to see?"

"I'm sorry Peggy. I've been talking to the other girls, and some of them have tried to help. It just doesn't work with James."

"Yeah?" I turned to Angelica, stood up, trying and failing to be taller than her, and declared, "I'll just have to be the first to help her then, won't I?"

Right on cue, the bell rang. Lesson over.