Finale at Thirty

Welcome to the final chapter. It has been specifically written to make you feel pain :) have a look at the next part of this story for info on a possible sequel/rewrite

* * *

Maria and I arrived early for our final performance of Miranda: The Musical. We got changed and hung around in a room backstage, singing random things at each other

"Anything Vine can do, YouTube does better!" I sang, causing Maria to giggle.

"My turn, okay." She cleared her throat. "There once was a boy slave destined to save space!" It was my turn to be confused.

"What the hell?"

"It's Star Wars. Honestly, I can't believe you've never seen it... It's my personal duty to make sure you do see it, at some point." She snuggled closer and my arms went around her.

Maria was so different from the crying broken girl I'd found in the bathroom alone. She was a lot calmer, more relaxed, she had gained enough weight to actually be healthy and I hadn't seen her properly cry since that day we met. She was happy, finally, and it was a happiness I knew and believed with all my heart that she deserved.

Throughout our performance that night, I noticed someone strange sitting in the crowd. Someone sitting right at the front, whose face was concealed. They didn't clap once, nor cheer, but I thought I saw a glimpse of a sneer during 'Say No To This' when I was watching from the side. I couldn't shake the feeling he was watching me.

We took our curtain call, and finally went through the back. Maria hugged me and we cheered for our last performance. She kissed me on the cheek before she left.

Someone was arguing in the boys' changing room. I couldn't figure out who it was until John rushed out with tears streaking his cheeks. "John?" I tried to follow him but he was faster than he looked. A sigh came from behind me and I spun to see Alexander.

We stared at each other for a few seconds before he was back into the changing room. This was turning into a heinous night.

"Angie!" I looked behind me to see Angelica striding away from one of her friends. It was Theodosia.

"Theo, I'm leaving." Angie took my hand and started to lead me out of the door and away from Theodosia. We went outside to wait for Eliza.

I saw Eliza with Alexander a few moments later, he snarled something at her and she stormed toward me and Angelica. "Can we go now?" she asked, expression stony.

Angelica nodded, but I pulled away from her. "Wait." I had spotted Maria, running back to the building, and I caught up with her.

"Maria? Are you alright, did you forget something?" I asked worriedly. I gently touched her arm, but she jerked it away. There were traces of tears in her eyes. "Maria?" I said softly.

"I'm sorry," she whimpered. "I had to find you... I'm so sorry."

"Just tell me what it is, I'll help you!" I offered, wanting to hug her but knowing it wouldn't be well received.

"I-It's him. H-He's back."

"Who's back?" I tried to keep my voice as calm and comforting as possible.

"James."

No. No. No. It couldn't be. I wouldn't let him take her away from me.

NO!

Maria was pulled away into the shadows. I felt as if I'd been stabbed in the gut. This couldn't be happening... No, no, no it couldn't! I had to save her, I had to... I knew what he was like, I had to stop it! For Maria, for... Me.

Maria had started to mend my heart, but now it was more broken than ever.