Twenty-Four knock on the door

I woke up with my hair in a tangled mat. I glanced down. Damn. I was naked.

I didn't usually sleep naked, but I must have been distracted last night and forgotten to wear pants. Or a top. Or anything, really.

I dressed in a rush to head for school, and then realised that it was the weekend. Time to sleep then. Ah, weekends, I thought. Perfect time for doing absolutely nothing.

* * *

Monday morning.

I didn't like Mondays.

However, this Monday was going to be the most exciting Monday ever. Either that, or the most disappointing one. Today, Maria and I would find out whether we got into Miranda: The Musical. If we were successful, we would have to come to a meeting after school to make last minute adjustments to parts and stuff.

If we were successful.

We walked down the corridor, hand-in-hand. There was a buzzing crowd around the noticeboard, and as we approached we got some dirty looks.

"WHEEE!" yelled someone from inside the crowd. Clearly, they were successful.

After ten minutes of pushing and waiting to get to the noticeboard, I heard a shriek from Maria. I spotted her face in the crowd, and I saw her red lips move but I couldn't hear her over everyone else shouting. I couldn't tell if it was her happy shriek or not. It then struck me that I didn't know her that well. Sure, we were going out - amazing - but we'd been thrown together by chance.

By the time the crowd cleared, there was a dull pain in my head from all the shouting and commotion. Then I saw the noticeboard.

The world went black.

* * *

"You fainted dead away! I was worried," Maria said, taking my hands in her own.

"Just shocked I guess," I mumbled. I didn't really want any trouble, and I'm sure that people were laughing at me when I fainted. I'm embarrassed!

"I'm proud of you, Peggsie!"

"We made it!"

"I know!"

"Oh Maria!" I leaned over and hugged her. Honestly, I was amazed that we'd done so well!

"Follow-up auditions are...?"

"After school today," she supplied.

"Then we can find out-" I started

"What part we get!" Maria finished excitedly.

I stood up, and so did she. A beam spread across her face like wildfire. I grabbed her hand and sprinted out of the medical room, pulling her with me freely.

Grabbing someone's hand and running, I thought, is the best feeling in the world.

Shame I'd never had anyone to do it with before now.