Chapter 29: Spades

[???'s POV]

As a mere child, despite the small part-time jobs, I could never earn enough money. But I had to. I need to.

My sister's life depended on it.

She was just an infant when we left our parents who used to cater to our needs.

The same parents who tried to sell my baby sister off for a quicl buck.

My sister is somewhat special, you see.

She had the one and only Cat's Eye.

Her name was Ace.

But that story is for another time.

So when we finally got away with those pathetic excuse of parents, we found ourselves living in a forest near humble rural area.

There, for a month or so, I had to work day and night to be able to feed us, or at least my baby sister a meal a day.

But it wasn't enough.

How will we be able to survive if we kept going like this? What if I get sick? What if I can't afford food? What if I lose my job? What if-

"Oh? It's rare to find two children taking shelter this deep in the forest."

That's when I met Chrollo Lucifer.

If anything, I'd call him our saviour.

He told me he found me interesting, seeing my potential in my nen abilities as I awakened to them at a very young age.

"Join my Phantom Troupe." I remember him telling me, "Join my group of thieves, and you and the baby will never go hungry again."

And I did. As proof of membership, I got a spider tattoo on the right side of my torso with the number 4.

Surprisingly, his troupe wasn't against my addition to the team. I learned that like me, the core members were from Meteor City. Perhaps they felt some sort of kinship towards me?

Or maybe they just didn't want to oppose the head?

I'm inclined to think it's the latter.

Well, even if they accepted me, it didn't mean they trust me.

Especially the pink haired one, Machi.

Sigh.

You can't really avoid those things.

She probably could sense that I was hiding something.

She's not wrong.

Ace was kept a secret from the other members. I didn't want to expose her to this line of work, along with the people associated to it.

I also couldn't leave her alone, so I had to bring her with me, discreetly of course.

He accepted my request as long as she wouldn't affect my performance during heists. I did my best to fulfill that condition. Ace was behave enough to not make it diffucult.

I really didn't expect Chrollo to be as understanding as he is, due to his usual poker face...