two. charles

two. charles

After receiving the news and jumping on her bed for a good fifteen minutes, Charlotte managed to dial down her excitement into a not-so-subtle grin

After receiving the news and jumping on her bed for a good fifteen minutes, Charlotte managed to dial down her excitement into a not-so-subtle grin. She drank a glass of water and called her brother, who was at band practice. She managed to blurt out a strict invitation before she hung up abruptly, so he wouldn't hear her giggle. Soon enough, Tom appeared in their flat, looking concerned about his sister's mental health as she smiled like a maniac.

She ignored his look, circling the kitchen counters and coming to stand in front of him with a grave expression, gripping his shoulders. Tom's lips parted, and he was about to ask who died, as his mind raced towards the most tragic explanations of his sister's expression.

"Thomas," she said in the most serious tone she could form in such an ecstatic state, "I got the part."

Tom's eyes widened in realization and he breathed out a sigh of relief, eyes closing for a brief moment and lips twitching at the news. He was quick to wrap his sister in a hug, spinning her around a little bit.

"You did it, Charlie! I'm so proud of you!"

"--- You aren't-- my replacement." she choked out, trying to pry herself out of her brother's tight grasp and consume at least a molecule of oxygen, "You don't get my part if you kill me."

"Oh, sorry." he dropped her instantly, stuffing his hands into his pants pockets, "I'm just so happy for you." his shoulders were up to his ears, as he didn't know in what other way to express his excitement that didn't involve suffocating his sister with his hug.

He jumped onto the couch, which was a few steps away, and flopped down, "And for me, cause you're gonna introduce me to Rebecca Riley." he crossed his arms over his chest, a sly smirk on his lips.

Charlotte scoffed, "Yeah, fat chance." she dropped down onto the couch next to him, turning on the TV, but her neck craning to look up at him, as she had sunk lower, "I don't want you embarrassing me in front of my new friends."

"I wouldn't embarrass you." he protested, snatching the remote from her hand.

Charlotte sat up on her legs, leaning over her brother to try to retrieve the lost remote he was holding out of her reach, "You're my little brother, of course you'll embarrass me."

As one hand reached for the technology, she leaned the other one onto his stomach, and when the boy curled in at the impact, pulling the remote closer, she snatched it, pinching his cheek before scooting away in order to prevent another theft.

"I'm older than you!" he fell onto his stomach while trying to reach her, and was now crawling to her side.

"Sure you are," she consoled him, eyes on the TV, before turning to look him straight in the eye, "Baby brother."

The thing was, they were twins, but their mother didn't remember which one was born first, and wasn't bothered enough to pull out their birth records (they suspected she had misplaced them, because they weren't a script and were thus unimportant). That caused on-again off-again fights between the two about who was older, one of which was this time interrupted by the door opening and a head peaking into the flat.