five. theatre team

five. theatre team

Given that Charlotte didn't have a short fuse and realized that since she was an adult, she had to be the bigger person, she didn't ignore her mother, which was something she'd often do in her younger years after the two had an argument, which was mostly about creative differences. But this argument could be considered about one as well.

The next day was the last rehearsal before the play was to be preformed in front of the public, which mostly consisted of friends and family of the cast and crew. Since Carla was too busy yelling at Jake about the set design, Charlotte slid into the changing room with only a few people she greeted on her way there being aware of her presence, and climbed on stage when her mother started to yell about what a diva the main actress is. Because Carla was petty, she decided to announce the news to the ones present, but with a little bit of bitterness.

"Dear cast... respected crew... I have some unfortunate news to inform you of." she walked across the stage, speaking dramatically, because that was the only way Carla Vaughan did things.

She placed a hand on the shoulders of her daughter, who rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest, cocking her hip so it hit her mother's. The woman made no sign she was bothered by it, or even noticed it, so proceeded, "My daughter... my own blood... whom I taught everything I know... has decided to abandon the noble teachings of the stage in favour of blockbusters filled with computer-generated art."

The were a few murmurs among the students of her school, mostly confused ones, given that everyone was frowning, but Charlotte pushed her mother's arm off her shoulders and stepped into the centre of the stage.

"Alright, alright. The truth is, I have been cast in a movie."

There was a collective 'oh', followed by a round of applause.

"Well, at least now one of us has a chance of getting the lead role." Beth whispered to Jonathan, though everyone heard her, and their eyes traveled to Melissa, who was Charlotte's understudy in every play, but never tried to undermine her, though it was widely known Carla never favoured the girl, but couldn't deny she had talent.

"I'm not going away yet. I'm doing this play, and once I come back, if my mother would accept me, I will be an advisor." Charlotte's palms were out, before she clapped her hands together and looked back to her mother, who was angrily studying the script, before turning back to her classmates.

"Cause I doubt I'll get another role in a movie right off the bat after this one and a girl's gotta eat, right?" she rambled, taking in a deep breath at the end, smiling wide, "So I think we can consider this event... my... graduation."

Through another round of applause, she promised to invite them all to her graduation-slash-going-away party, and she never really meant to have one, but it was only now that she realized how much of a change she would go through. LA instead of Manchester, high-profile actors instead of the drama club kids, studio and set instead of the stage...

No mom, maybe dad, no Tom, because he was going on a tour with his band as the opening act for some other band, and no Hamlet, because he was always busy with university. She realized, she had to get ready for her world being flipped upside down.

* * *

"Congratulations, Charlotte!" Melissa hugged her once they were in the changing room, when the rehearsal was done and they were all dismissed, "You deserve it! And I'm not only saying that because I'm hoping your mother will give me the roles you usually get, because, let's be real, I'm always a bridesmaid, never a bride."

"Aw, Issa." Charlotte hugged her back, "I'm gonna miss you. You're the only one who's not afraid of trash-talking my mom." she giggled, pulling away as her hands stayed on Melissa's shoulders, the girl's own on Charlotte's forearms.

"I'll keep you posted on new plays and her bitchiness, don't worry." Melissa laughed, and Charlotte pushed her face to the side lightly, moving through hugs of several other girls and responding to congratulations with thankful smiles and appropriate replies, before they let her change.

The boys had greeted her with hair ruffling, rib poking and quick hugs when they were coming off stage, having their own dressing room.

"I'll keep you posted on the party, I still have to arrange everything so the date and time is a bit up in the air at the moment - not to mention the fact I didn't even have a discussion about it with my mother," Charlotte shook her head, pulling her arm through her shirt, "But there'll be a party. I'd hate to leave you all without a proper goodbye."

"If she doesn't let you have it in the house, you can always have it down here in the theatre." Vernon-- Veronica suggested, wiping the make up from her face, gaining support from Micaela and a few others, who noted it would be pretty cool.

"I'll see to it, then." Charlotte laughed, "I'm meeting up with Tom, so I'll see you guys!" she started to back away, waving at everyone present before closing the door behind her.

She had to walk across the stage to get to the exit, and she was glad her mother was nowhere in sight. She did, however, notice a head of frizzy blonde hair in the crowd, since the lime lights were off and the ceiling lamp illuminated the space equally. She frowned, trying to think if anyone had already changed and exited before her, but no one came to mind, they were all still in the dressing room when she was leaving.

She sneaked across the old wood panes, but they creaked nevertheless, and it was only when Charlotte jumped from the stage into a crouch did the head look up. She couldn't make out any features, however, since the girl cursed lightly before starting to pick up her things and rushing through the seats.

Charlotte was curious about the girl, but didn't have an intention of running after her, despite not knowing why she was running in the first place; it wasn't like the theatre was only for the members of the drama club, but not everyone was allowed inside.

"Hey! Hey, wait!" she yelled after the girl, tilting her head to the side. She picked up her pace into a speed walk, "I won't tell on you, I don't mind."

The girl slowed down at that, "Promise?" she winced, though Charlotte couldn't see it as she still had her back turned to her.

"Promise." Charlotte spoke next to her, which made the girl jump. The actress didn't give her long to reconcile, the blonde's hand still on the place where her heart beat loudly in her chest when Charlotte asked, "What's your name?"

The girl breathed in, extending the hand she had over her heart, "Christiana. But everybody calls me Chris."

Charlotte took her hand and shook it, narrowing her eyes at the girl. She had blue eyes as clear and as lively as a stream, her hair was gold like wheat and sunrise, and there were some freckles dotting her pale complexion.

"I'm Charlotte, but you can call me Charlie." she let go of her hand, and the girl wheezed out a 'Yeah, I know who you are' through a wide smile.

"Oh, my God, that sounded so creepy." Christiana face-palmed, laughing nervously, and Charlotte laughed genuenly.

"It's fine, don't worry about it." she waved it off, waiting for the girl's ducked head to look up at her, "So what were you doing hiding in there?" she pointed over her shoulder with her thumb, aiming for the seats.

Christiana opened her mouth to try to explain, but ultimately shook her head, "It's a bit of a longer story." she winced.

Charlotte shrugged, "Wanna get some coffee then?"

[A/N]

So this is Chris. You'll get to know her a bit better in the next chapter, but she's a sweetheart. Wow my author's notes are either too long or non-existent.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed!